1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Panasonic GH3 - First Image - And Video'

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Sep 13, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    a lot of emphasis in video +plus dslr size = not for me.

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Looks to be a very versatile machine.

Let's go!

4. drewbot

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiSwGHPJw74]GH3 PV 720 60p - YouTube[/ame]

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome, I was just saying earlier tonight I wish they'd hurry up an announce the GH3, I'm holding off on a purchase waiting to see what the official specs on the GH3 were. Looks like a slick GH2 update so far.

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Interesting how Sony and Fuji are going the opposite direction--cramming APS-C and FF sensors into every shrinking bodies, while Panasonic is making their already 'big' m43 camera even bigger. I know there's demand for this because I read it in the forums all the time, but I wonder how much.

7. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    It is a thing of beauty!

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    For the first time, a Panasonic m4/3 camera is getting me really excited, but that GH3 - E-M5 combo will be really bulky to carry around, and I am not ready to swap my E-M5 for it...

...wish the E-M5 has better video capability, focus peaking, and better compatibility with some of the Panasonic lenses. That would have quenched my thirst (for a while longer at least)...

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    wow, it's nice to see Panasonic keeping the megapixels at 16. if i was doing videos, i will jump at this.

the 20mm with the GH3 + vertical grip looks awesome!

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It's almost like a Four Thirds body re-booted....

11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
  12. Bryan Mordt

Bryan Mordt New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2012
    Looks great!

I am impressed with what I'm seeing so far in terms of specs and body design. I've never shot with a micro 4/3 but I think this will be my next kit. I not only like the compact design (compared to DSLR's) but Panasonic has a very nice selection of lenses. It's nice to the 12-35 2.8 and the upcoming 35-100 2.8 zooms for this system. When I look at a comparable lenses from my previous Nikon kit Panasonic's prices aren't too bad.

The GH3 with battery grip still looks smaller than my D300 without a grip.

13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Wow, looks sexy!

typed on my phone, sorry.

14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I must be the only one looking at the video and pics that doesn't think this thing is that big... it looks like a GH2 with a more rounded handgrip and a battery grip attached to the bottom. Remove the grip and it's what, an inch taller than the lens mounted on it? Look at the video of it in use, especially where the battery grip is off; it just doesn't look huge to me :confused:

Anyway... I'm most interested to see what they've done with the sensor. If it's another rebranded GH2/G3/GX1 sensor I'm not sure I am willing to shell out for one versus a G5 or something else. If Panasonic delivers on the "wide dynamic range" promise (better noise performance wouldn't hurt either) AND the focus peaking, ergonomics, weather-sealing etc. then I think I'm probably sold.

15. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    It looks like they are knocking this out of the ballpark. I'll still be getting an E-PM2, because it'll be 1/3rd the price or less and I don't need as much camera as the GH3 will be, but wow! This camera is screaming out for enhanced 4/3rds compatibility.

Olympus's next OM-D series camera is going to have to be amazing to remain competitive.

16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    An amazing m43 body without the omd lens issues! I predict an em5 price drop.

typed on my phone, sorry.

17. drewbot

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Screenshot of back. Fn4?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    It would be awesome if Panasonic implemented wireless flash control in the GH3...

• Like Like x 1
  19. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome, I was trying to make that out in the video but it was too blurry here. Looks like 3-4 physical Fn buttons, the three control dials, AFL/AEL, plus the focus mode selector switch. This is looking better and better!

20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Judging from the video and pics, I don't think it is that big a camera body either. It's probably around the same dimensions as the GH2. If you compare it with something like an E-5, it is absolutely miniature. Unfortunately, a GH3 - E-M5 combo is still too bulky for my preference...

• Like Like x 1