1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GH3 and Elinchrom Skyport

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by vthn, Dec 2, 2013.

1. vthn

vthn New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2013
    All,

in addition to my Canon DSLR I got myself a Panasonic GX7 as lightweight backup system. Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the GX7 (especially with the Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4). However, I had to discover that the GX7's hot shoe is not working with my Elinchrom studio strobes, it simply won't trigger the Skyport. After some reasearch, I found out that this seems to be a general (compatibility) issue of the Panasonic mFT systems in combination with the wireless Elinchrom system.

And here's my question: I'm considering getting rid of my Canon system and getting a GH3 instead. But since I need studio strobes from time to time, it would have to work with my Elinchroms. Does anybody have the same setup (Pana GH3 + Elinchrom Skyport)? Is it working with the Skyport sync cable?

Best regards,
    Thilo

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good question. There's only one post I can find on the topic, and all it does is drop a tantalizing hint that there's a solution available. Unfortunately, there's no information and Googling the suggested phrase doesn't help :rolleyes:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1333905

Otherwise after a bunch of searching I saw one guy who claimed they had gotten an Elinchrom Skyport Speed trigger to work on m4/3 but most everywhere else experiencing the same results as you're seeing with the GX7. I highly doubt the GH3 would be different in that respect as the flash control is part of the m4/3 standard so they're not going to have different pin-outs or voltage etc.

3. vthn

vthn New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2013
    Yes. I would also assume that the GH3's hot shoe doesn't work either. I was more hoping that someone was using the syncho socket to (successfully) trigger the Skyport. I guess I'll have to consider either going back to Canon or getting myself different studio flashes. :frown:

4. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Can you call/email Elinchrom support? Unfortunately the only person I knew with Skyport triggers no longer lives near me, or I'd do a test for you with my GH3.

5. vthn

vthn New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2013
    Thank you very much for the offer, but I've solved the problem by buying some Phottix Ares radio triggers. They work flawlessly with the GX7, seem to be durable and reliable and allow me to work with a mix of studio and system flashes. (And I finally ordered the GH3 last week...)

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome, glad you got a solution! I use Phottix Strato II triggers with the GH3 and they work well. Good to know the Ares work as well.