1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GH2 - wrist strap suggestions?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rrobinson, Aug 27, 2011.

1. rrobinson

rrobinson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2011
    I recently added a 2nd GH2 and would like to use a wrist strap on this body. I am leaning toward a Gordy's wrist strap, with string attachment. Anyone using a Gordy's wrist strap on their GH2? Is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I suggest you look at OpTech. They also have convertible straps. You cannot go wrong with OpTech. Their products are well made. Their service and prices are excellent and their availability of spare parts is as good as it gets. You can also call them directly and they will guide you in your selection of the best strap for your needs/uses.

Best regards,
    Tom

3. rrobinson

rrobinson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2011
    Tom:

With the OpTech, can you use the quick release system and change from a wrist strap to a neck strap?

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I use a Gordy's on my GH2 and love it. I have the lug-mount one but I think the string mount might be a bit more comfortable.

6069527666_97ba7d0236_b.

5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

RRobinson,

Yes, plus they offer a variety of options. One works better than the another in their system and I cannot remember which works the best. However, if you call them, they will advise you which way to go. These folks are really great. Frankly, they told me what to buy and I then bought at B&H.

Best regards,
    Tom

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I use a Gordy's on my gf1 and love it. I'm gonna get another for one of my other bodies....I prefer a wrist strap most times to a neck strap.

7. rrobinson

rrobinson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2011
    Do you prefer the Gordy's strap with the string or lug attachment? I would assume that the string attachment would be more comfortable on the GF2.

8. Use the optech wrist strap & neck strap with the mini qr on the G2 & GF-1. Normally the wrist strap is attached. Usually the the camera bagged when carrying around. Situations arise where there is no place to set the camera down to allow for a lens change. Neck strap comes in handy as my 3rd hand.
    Happy with the OpTech straps. 1st started using the wrist strap with my 1st digital camera a few years back. They are functional & relatively inexpensive.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I thought the string didn't look sturdy enough. I just didn't trust it. I have the lug. It has scuffed up the camera a bit, but the only way anyone would see it, is if I take off, which I don't.

10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I use the Gordy string one with my GH2 and Voigtlander and haven't had a problem.

11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011

That's what I thought at first glance, but there's some pretty amazing photos on their website testing it's strength... I don't think it'll break :wink:

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    unfortunately for those of us that have something like a gf1, it's not easy to use anything other than the strings =/ But from what I've seen, it seems pretty well made. I think the G3 follows this pattern now though =(

But if you're going gordy w/ the GH2, get the regular ring style

13. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    You mean the Lug Mounted ones? Just curious why that one?

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have a gf1 and use the lug version....it's a tight fit....the lug is a bit big, but I made it work. And I saw the photos testifying to the strength of the string. I still felt better with the lug. Maybe next time, but I'm still quite happy.

15. rrobinson

rrobinson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2011
    Has anyone used the Gordy's tripod version on the GH1/GH2 cameras? It looks like a good strap, but I would worry about it accidently screwing out of the tripod mount?

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Well, to me, I just thing it's a better fit. reduces a possibility of the string breaking.

Yeah, I got it on, but chipped up the lug in the process... which then cut into the string some when I switched, heh. I did not like how it was basically stationary. too ridged in use, it was odd. It may have been better with the longer strap for me. But it took way too much effort, I won't do that on my G3.

I actually have a bunhc of 3/8" webbing. I'll probably just make my own, heh.

17. raviliousness

raviliousness Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I've just ordered a CamStrap from CamAdapter:
    Camdapter - The Hand Strap

My thinking:
    - I want a strap that I can tighten/secure onto my hand
    - I don't want a strap that tightens by pressing my hand against the my GH-2
    - I have a Peak Designs Capture Clip to tote my camera on a backpack shoulder strap or belt, so the Arca plate with strap lugs will already be attached to the tripod mount
    - I have small hands

So as it hangs from my shoulder-strap or belt I should be able to slip my hand through the loosened loop, unclip the camera, and tighten the loop if I want to with my left hand.

Fingers crossed it'll be a good combo...:rolleyes:

Christian

18. BigRed

BigRed New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2011
    Christian: I'm curious how the CamStrap worked out for you? How's the fit? (I also have small hands, and want to shift some of the camera weight off my bad thumb and onto the rest of my hand.) Did the tripod setup work? Thanks!

19. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents ... I ordered a Gordy's for my GH2, the one with the string, and I sent it back. Maybe it's okay for you gents, but the strap itself was just too ... masculine ... for my taste. It's very rugged and sturdy-looking.

I kind of want something sleek and slinky, but strong. Any suggestions? And before you say it, those Artisan & Artist straps are TOO EXPENSIVE.

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA