Panasonic GH2 vs GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GAS GAS GAS and Just GAS or U may call it MrDough syndrome.Ok , I am pretty happy with my Olympus EPL2 but just saw Panny GH2 body on Ebay for USD 675 which will be further cheaper for me as Aussie dollars is going great. On the other and Panasonic GX1 is also around AUD799 with newer kit lens . Please help me to decide which one I should pick? I think both share same sensor . On the other hand I am also thinking if its worth to wait for OLy or Panny next gen MFT rather than getting any one of them .I am leaning towards GH2 body at USD 675 as I dont bother about kit lens and I am planning to shoot some serious videos.
  2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I'd go with the GH2. I like the viewfinder, size, shape, more physical controls and articulating screen better than the compact style. And it's cheaper!

The GH2 sensor is different. It's oversized to allow for different aspect ratios with little or no cropping.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Unless you really need the video ability of the GH2 I'd just stick with the epl2 if your happy with it - still a gem of a camera and means you can wait for the GH3/OM-D models :smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would go for the GH2 as a better complement to the E-PL2. The GX1 is more like the Panny version of the E-PL2/E-P3, which would make it a more redundant purchase.
  5. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Ned.. GAS has passed after a good night sleep and my favourite breakfast at a favourite place with my favourite girl friend. She was dressed in her fav long skirt ( Oly 45mm 1.8 ) and red top .WHen I looked at her again and touched her , I said to myself way Bhupinder ..who cares about video .? Infact its better to wait for next PEN with weather sealing etc etc .. or else I will get GH2 .
  6. Bhupinder2002

YEs Nick..I have decided that. I got a bit emotional and GAS kicked in when I saw that price on ebay. My wife is not around so this kind of behaviour is expected from me ..hahahhah
  7. amberzombie

amberzombie Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010
    Funny I came back onto this forum just to see if anyone had this very dilemma as I'm wanting to get rid of my GF1 for something with an EVF.

Looks like I might be making the GH2 my next purchase!
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    I sold my GH2 recently and swapped it for a GX1 plus EVF. Couldn't be happier with my choice. But then I rarely shoot video, and place a high value on being able to (jacket) pocket my camera. Neck straps make my head explode. :rolleyes:
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Now the GF-1 is a completely different story from the E-PL2. The GX-1 is a side-grade from the E-P3 or E-PL2, but it's a definite upgrade from the GF-1! If you like the body form, styling, and usage of the GF-1, then you would be better off to get the GX-1 with LVF-2. The LVF-2 should be as high quality as the Olympus VF-2 or the built-in EVF of the GH2. However, if you actually want a larger camera with DSLR styling, then go for the GH2...
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It doesn't matter what camera I was coming from, I'd get the GH2 over the GX1. Better handling, viewfinder, battery, and sensor. No-brainer unless you want a rangefinder-style body. However, I wouldn't upgrade from the E-PL2 right now. Wait until the real sale prices begin for the GH2, unless your Olympus is messing up. Patience is a virtue.