1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GH2 - problems recording- help please!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kdh, May 19, 2016.

1. kdh

kdh New to Mu-43

May 19, 2016
    Hi I hope someone can help as I'm using this for work.

I have a GH2 which is stopping intermittently when I'm in Record mode.
    I have version 1.1 body and lens firmware update.

In the screen bottom right where it usually reads R29m56s of recording time, it now reads just R20m 51s and counts down from that number but it doesn't synch with the actual real time recording.

Many thanks for any help.

Kim

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    confirmed that the media card is ok?

3. kdh

kdh New to Mu-43

May 19, 2016
    Media card is fine, I have tried a few.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    bugger, sounds fatal.
    If a reset or a firmware upgrade doesnt slap some sense into it then I am out of ammo.

have you considered trying a hack on it?

5. kdh

kdh New to Mu-43

May 19, 2016
    Do you mean Reset the Recording settings or Custom Parameters in the Setup menu?

I was thinking of re-installing the original V1.0 Panasonic Firmware but I can't find a file to download.

I have no experience in hacking - can you point me towards one you think might help?

Many thanks.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
  7. kdh

kdh New to Mu-43

May 19, 2016
    Many thanks. All very confusing though. Never hacked before!
    Maybe someone could point me to a hack I could use with instructions on how to do it?

Thanks.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I thought I did?

PTool Software - Main - GH1, GH2, G2, GF1 and G1 Hack Wiki

is the main site ... basically you are tinkering with settings using that tool and then uploading that.

My point isn't to get you over to a hacked version because its better or something, but to see if upgrading / side grading the firmware gets your camera working again.

Sadly hacking requires you to actually understand the settings you desire. There are quite a few videos on youtube.

I'm still not sure if your cameras toast or not by pushing a "hacked" firmware up there (don't push a high recording bitrate on it) it will resolve if the camera still works or not ... hopefully someone else will happen along with other ideas than mine

From what I see on that panasonic site your sofware is already at the latest version ...

9. kdh

kdh New to Mu-43

May 19, 2016
    Sorry, my mistake. I am a complete novice with this hacking thing. It's going to take a while to read all this stuff.

I have now managed to find the original GH2 Vers1.0 firmware for the camera, dowloaded it and it's running back to normal!

My new question is should I upload one of the hacks and the new version of the software or leave well alone and never touch it again.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    excellent ... sometimes you do get corruption of stuff in memory and a reset is needed (especially with that sort of memory)

ok, basically the hacks are nothing more than fiddling with the firmware file to specifically enable things which ARE features of the camera but they (for what ever reason) did not impliment them in that release (perhaps UI design time considerations).

I totally recommend you download ptool and then just unzip that .exe into a folder and plop a copy of the firmware in there with it. Open it and load the firmware and just browse what sorts of things it enables and allows you to do.

Nothing can come to harm that way because:
    • you don't have to save it to the firmware file
    • you can get (should be making copies anyway) fresh copies off the Panasonic site
    • you don't need to load that firmware file you have toyed with onto anything and can therefore just delete it if you want
    I keep a copy of the firmware in one folder and then copy it to my "working folder" where ptool is to do anything to it.
    Read up on the specifics of uploading versions to your camera as some cameras won't take the same version number, and require a higher version number to accept the load. Ptool has a "version number" field where you can incriment that. You can document what you've been doing in a text file or just read off the back of the camera what your version number is and add a decimal place to it

11. kdh

kdh New to Mu-43

May 19, 2016
    Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1