Panasonic GH2 + Panasonic 45-200 Stabilization Test

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by isabel95, Jun 2, 2012.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the EM-5 for better noise control at high ISOs, I've decided to try to fall in love with my GH2...and wanted to see just how effective the stabilization is.

These images were taken about 8:45pm when it was getting dark out. I was amazed that the lens was able to find way more color than I could see with the naked eye. One image was taken with fluorescent light in my kitchen.

No noise reduction was used on these images. Read the EXIF info to see the rather amazing shutter speeds.

Panasonic 45-200 Low Light Image Stabilization Test Photo Gallery by Isabel Cutler at

• Like Like x 1
  2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    Looking at the RAW output from both cameras, I'm not convinced there's a significant difference between the GH2 and the EM-5 for high ISO noise. Perhaps the Olympus is slightly better but for me at least, given that I only shoot RAW, it's not enough of a reason to switch cameras.
  3. isabel95

I hope people who have both will post comparison pics here

I am appreciating the GH2 more now that I am getting better color output, largely due to following recommendations from Robiro. I've posted them before, but here's his article about them (I do NOT routinely up my exposure compensation. I rely on the histogram):
    My solution: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I shoot in both raw and jpg and rarely use the jpgs, but having these settings in my camera gives me a better starting point for tweaking in Adobe Camera Raw.

4. isabel95

It's not so much the high iso output I'm focusing on....

it's the time it takes the buffer to clear after a rapid fire series of burst shots.

It isn't helpful to be able to shoot a great series of shots, let's say, of a dog chasing a frisbee, and then miss the moment when he catches it, because you're waiting for the buffer to clear.