Panasonic GH2 + Off camera flash

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jalex, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I have a Panasonic GH2 and the Olympus FL 50 and am looking for recommendations/advice on how to fire the flash wirelessly. Thanks in advance,
    Jane

2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The FL50 doesn't have optical or radio wireless TTL capability built in. To get TTL exposure, you'll need to use an extension cable.

If you're willing to live without TTL, you have two options: you can use a hotshoe & flash mounted radio slave set, or a flash-mounted optical slave unit.
    For the latter, you'll have to use to the internal GH2 flash to trigger the optical slave.

I've used TTL flashes, optical slaves, and radio trigger slaves, and they all work very nicely. When using optical or radio trigger slaves, you set the exposure either by trial and error, or by using a flash meter.

For some interesting lighting set-ups and lots of flash tips, you can see the strobist site:
    Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Thank you Robert. I have a couple of 580exIIs that I fire wirelessly from my Canon 7D. Would I be able to use the Canon flashes TTL wirelessly with the GH2 if I buy a transmittor/Receiver?

I guess maybe I should just buy the extension cable and continue doing the wireless work with the Canon gear?

4. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    You could use the flashes wirelessly, but not in TTL mode.

On further reflection, I remembered that the GH2 doesn't support TTL remote flash, even with the FL-50R series. That seems to be one of the (few) weaknesses of the GH2.

Your idea of continuing to use the Canons for wireless TTL and getting the M4/3 flash extension cable for the GH2 sounds good.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    And if you want to be sneaky then get a Canon compatible cord and you can then use it with both your Canon and Panasonic gear. The Panasonic pins line up with the canon ones.

Gordon

6. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Great! Thank you Robert and Gordon for your help. I will order a cord right away. Do you guys have any recommendations on a cord or any Canon compatible would be fine?

Yeah, that is too bad that the GH2 doesn't seem to support TTL remote flash. If it did I think I could get rid of my 7D :)

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I just got the 3.6 meter ones off ebay and they work perfectly. I am tempted to try the old Canon cord system to see if I could have more than one flash TTL off camera, but it's quite a bit of money to set up.

Gordon

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cactus V2 for ~$30 work great as wireless radio triggers. You could go to Pocket Wizards for $400 ... I use one Tx and one Rx (Cactus V2) and trigger second and third flashes optically off the radio controlled flash as master. All manual mode flash.

36R and 50R do support wirelss (optical) TTL which will also work with radio poppers for increase flexibility. Don't think the optical TTL works with GH2 ...

If you are going off camera and wireless with flash you are probably going to be doing manual flash control anyway!

9. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I use a few of these:

LumoPro LP160 Quad Sync Manual Flash MPEX

It's cheap and puts out plenty of power. It has an optical slave built-in, so you just fire a flash on camera and the LP160's (which I mount on stands with umbrellas) put out the power at the zoom you specify. It's all manual power ratios, but if you're doing studio-like stuff you're probably shooting manual power anyway.

I use whatever I have lying around to trigger the LP160's. You could use a 580EX or an FL36R or even your on-camera flash. Just set it to minimum power to avoid making it part of the exposure.

The advantage of shooting manual flash and using non-system triggers is that I can shoot with my 5D2, 7D, GH1, EP3, or even a P&S camera all at once. I usually use my 5D2, but my GH1's LCD is handy when I'm shooting awkward angles. The photos are the same so long as ISO and aperture is the same.