1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GH2 firmware update announced

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stratokaster, Nov 7, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    • Like Like x 5
  2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    thx!

The new video mode and improved AF performance in video mode interest me!

3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Excellent.

4. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Mostly VIDEO! Why?!?

What about these crucial PHOTO bugs:

1 - [LIVE preview] is not consistent during [Aperture Preview] either [MF Zoom].
    2 - [Aperture Preview] is aborted if you touch the focus ring.
    3 - [MF Zoom] and [MF Guide] does not show when camera fail to focus.
    4 - Scale distance figures/"numbers" missing in the [MF Guide].
    5 - [MF Zoom] fill the whole screen obstructing us to continue composition/framing the subject.
    6 - 100% Electronic shutter ON/OFF in all modes. (Already available using [Touch Shutter ON] in cont.SH mode)

5. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Anyone know what the "half press release" function is all about? I can't even guess.

I'm heartened to see continued support for their premium product, but tend to agree with previous post that I wish there were more photo enhancements.

6. MarcusBrody

MarcusBrody New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm most excited to see the supposed improved high iso noise reduction. Gaining another .5-1 stops in usable iso would be great.

7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I'm guessing that would be tweaking their NR algorithm for JPG output, not true raw improvement.

8. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I'm looking forward to this update!

9. MarcusBrody

MarcusBrody New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2011
    New Haven
    That's what I was thinking so I wasn't too excited, but I do shoot video nearly as often as stills so if it helps in video mode, I'd still be pretty pleased.

Also, hasn't it been determined that m4/3 cameras do some noise reduction on the raw images (i.e. they're not completely raw)? So it's possible that they tweeked that too.

10. MarcusBrody

MarcusBrody New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2011
    New Haven
    I'd like this. I find that the way I can hold the camera most stable for longer shutter handheld shots is to have it hanging from the neck strap and then brace it against my body. Except when it gets near my body, it switches to the evf and switches off the screen which I'm using to compose. I'll look into the touch shutter setting. I hadn't tried that. Thanks!

11. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Can't you just press the EVF/LCD button to force it to one or the other mode? That's what I do when it's switching when I don't want it to, or is there some bug there I haven't noticed?

12. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

I would suggest you to turn-OFF [LVF/LCD SWITCH] under CUSTOM settings.
    Like that, if the LCD is open, the camera uses the LCD. If its closed, it uses the LVF. And you can always override it my pressing the button [LVF/LCD].
    The workflow is quite effective this way. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  13. MarcusBrody

MarcusBrody New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2011
    New Haven
    This is what I do. The bug is if I move the camera slightly away from me then back, it goes back to auto-switching.

Trying it now....awesome! Exactly what I wanted to figure out how to do. Thanks!

14. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Could it be because of the fact that: (?)

in Panasonic cameras:
    "Pictures are displayed until shutter button is pressed halfway."

While in Canon, Nikon, etc,:
    "Pictures are displayed until shutter button is released halfway."

(?)

15. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I need to test this on my G2. I mostly like the EVF sensor, except when I don't.

:wink:

16. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Are you talking about the photo after you take it or...?

17. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Yes! In most cameras I have tried, if you hold the shutter after shooting, the camera will display permanently the last shot on screen until you [Half Release] the shutter button.
    When you [Half Release] the shutter, the screen goes back to LIVE VIEW, but the last settings, (exposure & focus, WB, etc), are locked so that you are ready to recompose your shot using the same settings.
    If you need to acquire new values then you can [Full Release].

This makes "action photography" very smooth. :)

Panasonic has a bug in their PREMIUM model with regards to that. We hope it is gonna be fixed now.
    Once you [Half Release] in the GH2, the camera will still display the last shot on screen, making it impossible for you to recompose your scene.
    In another words, you will need to [Full press], then [Full release] and then [Full press] again, in order to do the same. Remember that by doing so, the camera acquires new exposure, focus, WB, etc, every-time.

In practice, if you try to shoot a dog walking between a crowd, (and keep a consistent exposure, focus, WB, etc, between shots), the only way to do it in GH2 is to set the camera to Full Manual Mode and that takes time. By then your dog is gone! :)
    In a CANON you can do all that with just one finger, using the [Half Release] technique.

Hope you made it to the end this time ;)

If you have suggestions, please share. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

What about Zuzullo's excellent points for STILL PHOTO SHOOTERS????? We, in my opinion, need to impress upon the camera suppliers that still photography is very much alive and the basis for the advertisements that sell their cameras. Furthermore, who walks into an art museum for the sole purpose of watching movies?

Let us not be still about still photography. With a bit of smarts and a bit of listening, Panasonic can dramatically expand and maintain their photo market share. They have some good hardware, excellent lenses, solid electronics and room to grow if they do not step on thos who are presently using their gear.

My two cents,
    Tom

19. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

The problem is to get Panasonic to check these forums at all :)
    Brands as Noktor do that and actively share in DPreview. Thats how they created the new 12mm f1,6

20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ

Sounds like you have Auto Review set to Hold. Try this:

Menu: Setup: Page 2: Auto Review: 1 Second

Works great for me. Being able to review a photo for a quick second without taking the camera away from my eye actually makes the GH2 particularly good for action shots. I get to check exposure and have the highlight and shadow blinkies on (Menu: Custom: Page 1: Highlight: On) to make it especially easy to see if I've blown the exposure.

That's a feature that I wish my K-5 had. Alas you can't do that with an OVF...