1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GH1 Firmware Hacked: 1080P MJPEG, Native 24P, and more!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Stunning.

If Panasonic were going to issue a GH2 they will have to go back to the drawing boards now. This is light years stuff. 50Mbit MJPEG codec for 1080P, and it's open architecture... still begging to be twigged.

I am going to download his samples to my 120hz 42" 1080p LCD TV tonight.

EDIT:

Now watch Panasonic offer an upgrade patch that surreptitiously blocks the bogus improvement, restores original formatting, and blocks further hacking

Bokeh D

3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Incredible

As someone who uses the GH1 for commercial video shoots I've been looking at some of the footage shot with this hack and the increase in quality is simply amazing. I've viewed HD footage from a GH1 directly onto an HD screen before and that was pretty good, but this is going to put the GH1 into a different class.

This is just a beautiful example. Longshan's People Part II - 50Mbit GH1 MJPEG on Vimeo

Like many I would be very nervous hacking the firmware on my GH1. Hopefully all this worldwide attention will persuade Panasonic to release their own update so that we can all start to use this.

If they have any sense they will do this as they then have a world beater on their hands.

4. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    some amazing footage on his page...

5. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I actually used his hack on my GF1 to get better bitrate and no time limit. Works really well and easilly. I'm just curious how much more they can do with the GF1.

I also tried the menu in Finnish, but could not use it properly :D

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Krang I was just thinking myself whether it would work on my GF1. So what does it do differently? Can you notice any change in the video performance? Also are there any other changes?

If you think it's worth it I'll load mine as well.

icon

7. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Hmmmm, maybe the G2 will be hacked soon.

8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Maybe I'll give this a go. I must admit to a degree of trepidation though.... Can things get hosed with this? Reassurance please :redface:

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I think with hacks like this it's always "install at your own risk!", so no re-assurances from anyone that everything will be OK. Pay careful attention to all the disclaimers in the hacking software, and make your own decision about what you'd lose by installing it, and what could possible go wrong. Worst case you end up with a broken camera, so weigh that as part of your decision.

10. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
  11. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Took the plunge. I haven't looked closely at the video output to see what the difference might be but everything else is working as normal.

12. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Did anybody try to go back to the Panasonic Firmware?

13. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Is this a complete firmware replacement or just a firmware that runs from the memory card similar to the hacks for Canon point and shoot cameras that allow long shutters and RAW shooting?

I know when flashing firmware on a DVD burner or the like, if something goes wrong, the burner becomes a paperweight. Flashing it back is a pain, but possible if using DOS commands and a floppy drive.

14. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    You can not roll back the firmware. It replaces the original firmware in the camera. So it may void your warranty.

You should not have any problems with the flashing. It's pretty standard procedure now days. Just don't use any settings you're not sure about when writing the firmware :)

15. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  16. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Looks good :2thumbs:
    Yours ? :biggrin:

17. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    No not mine. Mine is still at higher bittrate 720, used it yesterday when I stumbled upon a abandoned house on fire. Looked a lot better than before.

I haven't had the time to search for the right settings for this 1080. But I will try this as soon as I have time to scan trough the DVXuser GH1 hack forum.
    GH1 Firmware Hack - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Edit: found the settings in vimeo by ADAM MADA.

18. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    If they are doing the GF1, I expect the G2 to follow.

19. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    It might take a while. Even GF1 is pretty unknown still. No real test done yet, everything just ported from the GH1 patch. I will eagerly await if they can get manual settings to work in GF1 :)

20. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It does raise the question, why would Panasonic deliberately cripple their top of the range camera? Unless it's a cynical ploy to get users to effectively buy the same camera twice under the guise of a future "upgrade" it doesn't make sense. :confused:

I wonder if my Olympus E-3 already has the E-5 spec, if only I knew how to hack the firmware? :biggrin: