Panasonic GH1 Firmware Hacked: 1080P MJPEG, Native 24P, and more!

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Stunning.

If Panasonic were going to issue a GH2 they will have to go back to the drawing boards now. This is light years stuff. 50Mbit MJPEG codec for 1080P, and it's open architecture... still begging to be twigged.

I am going to download his samples to my 120hz 42" 1080p LCD TV tonight.

EDIT:

Now watch Panasonic offer an upgrade patch that surreptitiously blocks the bogus improvement, restores original formatting, and blocks further hacking

Bokeh D

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Incredible

As someone who uses the GH1 for commercial video shoots I've been looking at some of the footage shot with this hack and the increase in quality is simply amazing. I've viewed HD footage from a GH1 directly onto an HD screen before and that was pretty good, but this is going to put the GH1 into a different class.

This is just a beautiful example. Longshan's People Part II - 50Mbit GH1 MJPEG on Vimeo

Like many I would be very nervous hacking the firmware on my GH1. Hopefully all this worldwide attention will persuade Panasonic to release their own update so that we can all start to use this.

If they have any sense they will do this as they then have a world beater on their hands.

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
I actually used his hack on my GF1 to get better bitrate and no time limit. Works really well and easilly. I'm just curious how much more they can do with the GF1.

I also tried the menu in Finnish, but could not use it properly :D

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey Krang I was just thinking myself whether it would work on my GF1. So what does it do differently? Can you notice any change in the video performance? Also are there any other changes?

If you think it's worth it I'll load mine as well.

icon

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I actually used his hack on my GF1 to get better bitrate and no time limit. Works really well and easilly. I'm just curious how much more they can do with the GF1.

I also tried the menu in Finnish, but could not use it properly :D
Maybe I'll give this a go. I must admit to a degree of trepidation though.... Can things get hosed with this? Reassurance please :redface:

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe I'll give this a go. I must admit to a degree of trepidation though.... Can things get hosed with this? Reassurance please :redface:
I think with hacks like this it's always "install at your own risk!", so no re-assurances from anyone that everything will be OK. Pay careful attention to all the disclaimers in the hacking software, and make your own decision about what you'd lose by installing it, and what could possible go wrong. Worst case you end up with a broken camera, so weigh that as part of your decision.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
Is this a complete firmware replacement or just a firmware that runs from the memory card similar to the hacks for Canon point and shoot cameras that allow long shutters and RAW shooting?

I know when flashing firmware on a DVD burner or the like, if something goes wrong, the burner becomes a paperweight. Flashing it back is a pain, but possible if using DOS commands and a floppy drive.

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
You can not roll back the firmware. It replaces the original firmware in the camera. So it may void your warranty.

You should not have any problems with the flashing. It's pretty standard procedure now days. Just don't use any settings you're not sure about when writing the firmware :)

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
No not mine. Mine is still at higher bittrate 720, used it yesterday when I stumbled upon a abandoned house on fire. Looked a lot better than before.

I haven't had the time to search for the right settings for this 1080. But I will try this as soon as I have time to scan trough the DVXuser GH1 hack forum.
GH1 Firmware Hack - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Edit: found the settings in vimeo by ADAM MADA.
my settings for this video:
MJpeg_Q: 220, 200, 180, 160
MJpeg_T: original

and Mjpeg_Encoder . . . 1920x1080p settings

stable

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
It might take a while. Even GF1 is pretty unknown still. No real test done yet, everything just ported from the GH1 patch. I will eagerly await if they can get manual settings to work in GF1 :)

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
It does raise the question, why would Panasonic deliberately cripple their top of the range camera? Unless it's a cynical ploy to get users to effectively buy the same camera twice under the guise of a future "upgrade" it doesn't make sense. :confused:

I wonder if my Olympus E-3 already has the E-5 spec, if only I knew how to hack the firmware? :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom