1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GF8 announced out of nowhere

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tkbslc, Feb 15, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here comes the GF8, unexpectedly. It looks like a VERY minor update, but here are the details:

Beauty-centric Panasonic Lumix GF8 is all about the selfies

As far as I can tell, the only "upgrade" is some selfie retouching features. But apparently those are a big deal with women in some major Asian markets.

2. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Hmmm...

I think my GF1 would be deeply disturbed to discover what it's progeny have become... :shakehead:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. tkbslc

I think most of us consider the GX series to be the offspring of the GF1. GF2 was a new line. :)

Other than the fact this is a boring upgrade, the GF7/8 have a lot in common with the GM1, and most people like that camera. I'm sure it will be a great little compact m4/3 body, selfie branding aside.

4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I'm sorry, but this is just sad. :( As if there aren't enough issues with girls (in particular) and body image, we now have what basically amounts to in-camera photoshop aimed at just that. What next, automatic ugly correction? :hide:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah but nah...

Boring upgrade? A new model release that could have been applied with a firmware update...? Marketing campaign directed at a demographic that almost certainly already has the latest $1000 smartphone with 400+ selfie apps loaded...? :coco:

I can see why they tried to sneak this one past the keeper...

On the other hand, maybe this style of top-hinged, articulated LCD will offer the best of both worlds (Flip Up Vs Side-hinged Full Articulated) and prevent the exodus of many a poor MU4/3 photog from the system... :biggrin:

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I bought a GF7 for my dad, it's actually a pretty good camera for a novice to understand and use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

GX8
    PEN F
    GF8

GM6 will save m43

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh dear - first the Pen F and now this. Seems we all need to be hipsters and girls now. We should start a campaign for a more butch, techie and hard to use camera. Ah hang on - that'll be the A7!

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    My m43 is fine. If yours needs to be saved, maybe you need to try a different system. I mean... why stay in a system where all you do is complain about it? Life is too short for that. Maybe Fuji will make you happy. Or Leica. Or Nikon.

I actually heartily approve of its addition to the line up. I probably won't buy one, but now that the EPL and EPM lines seem to have been dropped, its either the GF8 or the Kodak branded camera if you want an entry level m43 camera. Its good to have a quality, small, easy to use entry level model.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I think that's an ongoing generational thing. For instance I'm concerned that NPD is no longer a disorder (meaning that narcissism is no longer a disorder, but normal)

anyway, how is this any different to the GF7?

Oh ... read that in more detail its about EWV*
    *EWV is a TLA for Extra Wanking Value

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    One, this camera is aimed at Asian markets, correct? The press I saw said it wouldn't be offered in the US.

If Panasonic had any such naming conventions, this would be a GF7 "S" since it really only adds as many features as one of Apple's iterative releases.

Completely uninteresting, but I also don't think this camera warrants talk of Panasonic's "direction" as this really isn't a carefully thought out release, it's just a targeted refinement of their GF7 selfie cam that will probably make that camera type more viable among its target demographic. Time to move on for the rest of us!

GM5•EM10•O17/2.8•O25/1.8•S60/2.8

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wonder if the C-AF is good. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Funny how marketing too heavily geared towards one market can turn away another that might otherwise be interested, really this is just a tilt screen GM1 (albeit likely with a little lower build quality).

For instance when looking for a second body I almost subconsciously eliminated the E-PL7 due to its "selfie-centered" advertising something I have zero interest in. Only once I really looked did I realize that the selfie part was a very minor part of the package and that the PL7 is a very capable camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If girls could grow beards there'd be a whole new market opening up for m4/3rds!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. tkbslc

Yes, because the GX8, G7, E-M5 II, and E-M10 II that were released in the last year no longer exist.

I agree this is a lame non-upgrade model, but let's not get overdramatic and pretend this is the new face of m4/3. Panasonic can target multiple demographics at once.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

Exactly. Funny that you can read nothing but praise for the GM1 on this forum, but a near-identical cam is considered a "girlie" camera just because it has a simple extra feature you don't have to use.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :yahoo:My e-pL7 has never taken a selfie :yahoo:: it's an E-M10 with no built-in viewfinder really.

18. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The Apple Iterative releases tend to have bigger processors, more memory, better camera, etc. This is a glorified patch release on the OS.

But it may have some cost savings / manufacturing improvements internally. And in the consumer market, lots of people are conditioned to assume the 2 year old model is much worse than the current model. (Even many of the camera comparison websites flag a camera as "superior" due to being a newer model.)

If rebranding sells more cameras, and keeps m4/3 development rolling, go for it.

19. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

We already have it. It's called beer!:drinks:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I honestly don't get the selfie hate. Rembrandt, Picasso, Van Gogh... all big fans of the selfie. So was this guy: Lee Friedlander Puts Your Selfies to Shame | #ASX

The only thing I dislike about most selfies is that they lack any creativity, but then again, so do most of the millions of photos posted every day.