1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GF6

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by daveproctor, Jun 18, 2013.

1. daveproctor

daveproctor Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    I'd read some rave reviews on the new GF6 with the updated 14-42 lens and have been trying, without success, to find one in a store.

I got a call from my local shop last week and went to have a look. Now I am out of pocket by my Fuji X-E1 but have the GF6 twin lens outfit with the 14-42 and the 45-150 (which I believe is an updated lens too). I couldn't believe how quick it is with the touch screen focussing and shutter activation. The X-E1 has superb IQ but I often struggled trying to get grab shots etc - I don't think the Panasonic will give me any trouble there!

The build quality is great, just heavy enough to feel well made and solid but still light enough not to worry about carrying the camera and both lenses around all day long. The screen is superb and the touch function really mitigates the lack of EVF/OVF for me.

IQ wise I only managed to take a couple of dozen pictures so far but first impressions are very good - I was encouraged by many reviews which really rate the IQ. It won't match my Fuji in low light and extremes and I'll probably miss the wonderful Fuji colour rendition, but for 90% of my pictures (especially printed) I doubt I'll see much difference. What does matter is that with the AF capability I'll get pictures my Fuji would have missed.

The two lenses are very compact and light but still feel well made - I am seriously impressed by the 14-42. The central part of the image is amazingly sharp for a lens of this price at every aperture, at 5.6-8 the edges also look pretty damn good.

I'm sure the price of the little GF6 will start to drop but I just fell in love with it so was happy to pay £649 - this covers 28mm-300mm in 35mm equivalent so I'm pretty sorted lens wise. I have my CCTV lens so will get a cheap adapter for that and will also probably end up getting a couple of primes at some point (the 20mm and Olympus 45mm probably).

The wi-fi control that you can get with the free phone app is excellent - effectively my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 becomes a fully featured remote control even showing the camera's live view on the phone screen and giving full control over the camera.

The GF range really does seem to have come of age with this model. It keeps the fun, compact convenience of the previous models (it's a little larger than the GF3 I had) but has a much greater range of facilities for more serious shooting.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It's a nice improvement over the GF3 and GF5. The sensor is the same as the GX1, but there are a lot of other features that make it a better camera.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Thanks for the review . Too bad there is no hot shoe for the Evf.

4. daveproctor

May 27, 2010
    Steven

I usually like having an EVF. However, the screen on the GF6 is incredible and the ability to focus and fire the shutter almost instantaneously by touching the screen on the area you want as the focus point really makes a difference for me.

5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I got to handle one of these, it's a bit bigger than the GF3 and I do like the way the new 14-42 lens zoom works. could be a great street combo for those who shoot from the hip.

6. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Anyone know why the sensor gets worse dxomark scores than GX1 / G5 upon which its based? 1 stop DR is a lot!

I realize I open myself up to the obvious comments but in a relative sense they should test out similar, no matter what your judgement is about dxomark itself.

7. The GX1 and G5 have have different sensors. 1 stop difference in DR would be about right.

8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    From DPReview

9. That's right. GX1 and GF6 are related, but the G5 mentioned earlier inherited the GH2 sensor but without the multi-aspect facility. It has more DR than the GX1/GF6.

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I bothered to read the DXOMark review and they don't really like it. :confused:

11. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    The GX1 does this as well.

I just started experimenting with this feature a bit this weekend, after turning on the touch shutter feature and linking it to the focus point. I was also impressed with the ability of the camera to focus and shoot almost instantaneously wherever I touched the screen.

Congratulations on your new purchase.

12. daveproctor

May 27, 2010
    Delighted top see that Capture One Express has now been updated to read the GF6 RAW files - really does an excellent job