Panasonic GF6 to have WiFi

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Brodie337, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
  2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    I see it as a nice $ saver from having to purchase one of the overpriced eye-fi cards. I'm not big on social media, but sometimes I have to send a few quick photos remotely through my phone. I use a S3 and have all my cameras equipped with micro SD cards, so I usually just pop out the cards and in stick it in my phone for a quick transfer when needed. But even that gets a bit tiresome overtime. I find the addition welcoming, given that WiFI-transfer could help save a bit of time and hassle.
  3. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    If it is anything like the new p&s's then the wi-fi will allow you to control (all or some?) parts of the camera using a smart phone or tablet from a distance. The distance or direction is not given, but, tethering is coming to m43 - maybe? You may also be able to download your photos wirelessly also.

Their higher end p&s with these features at DMC-SZ9 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I hope Panasonic adds smartphone tethering (like the GH3) to all it's cameras!!
  5. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    Yeah, it'd be nice to see smartphone integration. I'd also like to see tethered shooting/video from a personal computer, even if it was via USB. Which brings me to the final thing: it's time for cameras to support USB 3.0! C'mon, we keep getting more megapixels but files are transferring like it's 2000!
  6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Hmm. Better image quality than the G5 or GX1, but no hotshoe for accessories. Surprised that they added the mode wheel and generally tried to make it look more 'serious', the GF5 seemed to be doing quite well out of being as small and cute as possible.

Wait, no, dpreview say it has the same sensor as the GX1. So it's still an upgrade on the GF5, but I don't see why anyone would get this over, say, the E-PM2.
  7. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    If they were at the same price-point I would definitely grab one over the E-PM2. The sensor is slightly worse, but the GF6 does have a 3:2 ratio higher-res LCD, tilt screen, NFC-transfer capability, MP4 recording & better video quality. Personally, I value the aforementioned higher than IBIS, a hotshoe and the Sony sensor. But with the chunky zoom and at a price of $500? Forget about it. (Until prices drop, at least.) Too bad they forgot to include the G5's electronic shutter. A portable m43 body with an electronic shutter could be an awesome marketing ploy for street photographers and the like.
  8. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Because the E-PM2 screen can't articulate 180 degrees up for the duckface selfie photos! Duh! ;-)
  9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    If I am paying a lot for a camera and not have a useful feature found in every cheap smartphone,
    If I can use my smartphone instead of carrying a 2 part remote trigger & batteries around with me,
    If I can use my smartphone instead of a time lapse timer & batteries,
    If I can use a smartphone live viewfinder at any angle and distance instead of the flip up screen,
    If I can send family shots from my garden and not go upstairs, boot the computer, fiddle with wires,
    If I can spontaneously back up shots when I'm out, or show pictures on a friends television without any extra equipment.....

...then Wifi me up!