1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GF5 Pics Leaked. Panasonic G5 to be Released Alongside?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    43 Rumors has published leaked photos of the Panasonic GF5, which is similar in appearance to the GF3 but with a new grip and more angled contour. I think the subtle design changes are a major improvement and really like the look of the GF5.

Here are some comparative images of the GF3 and GF5:

6998431475_ba11b34106_o.

6852308084_94aaaa50b6_o.

According to their sources, the GF5 will have a 12MP sensor with noise performance on par with the Panasonic G3, Canon 60D, and Canon 7D. These types of claims which accompany leaks are usually based on in camera JPEGs. It seems unlikely that Panasonic would develop an all-new 12MP 4/3 sensor.

No word on announcement date yet, but the rumor states that the Panasonic G5 will be released alongside the GF5. My guess is that the G5 and E-M5 will share a common 16MP sensor, distinct from the G3/GX1 sensor, while the GF5 will use the same 12MP sensor as the GF1/2/3.

The other rumored specs for the GF5 are a 920k screen (higher res than GX1) with revised touch screen interface, max ISO 12,800 (same as GX1), and 0.09s AF (same as GX1).

Source: 43 Rumors

One comment about the rumor mill: Pics of this camera were first published by Panasonic-friendly model Angelababy on her Instagram stream. Would be a very odd thing for her to do by accident. DPReview published that, and they have never published a rumor before. Makes me think that both Angelababy and DPR were green-lighted by Panasonic. I have zero evidence, just speculating.

• Like Like x 3
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    920k screen?! Excellent!

(Glad to see we've finally reached state-of-the-art c. 2007!)

Wonder if the G5 will have any substantial changes beyond the sensor and the screen.

DH

3. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    Much more interested in the G5 than the GF5!

4. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    As above, I'm more interested in the G5, but these rumours still look pretty good as far as the GF5 goes.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I actually bought a used white GF3 and received it today. Was just admiring it when my wife looked over my shoulder at the screen and said that the GF5 makes mine look like it's from the 1970s :rofl:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rustysilo

rustysilo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    the g3 and gf3 haven't really been out that long already have they? it seems like they're releasing a new model every 6 months now. they're getting worse than the software companies. i keep looking at all the new cameras that come out and wonder if i really will ever need to buy another one. i think that maybe this one or that one will be good, but then read reviews and view the test shots and videos to find that the improvements are just not enough to justify purchasing one. for now i'm sticking with my canon xti and panny gf1 and will invest in lenses or other gear before getting a new camera.

all that said, i must admit that i do find the new oly em5 rather appealing. :smile: and i can't wait for the gh3.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    This is a consumer camera. Those release cycles have always been short. The company is not expecting the owners of a GF3 to buy a GF5. This is for customers looking for a new camera.

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Did I miss the GF4 and the G4?

• Like Like x 1
  9. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
  10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The Japanese words for the number four and death are homophones.

11. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Very true. It's just like every other consumer electronic. Like the Iphone. The newer one's aren't really much better, but they know that most people want the "best", and that they'll fork out more money to get it. Panasonic, Olympus, etc are in the business of making money, and they are rolling around in it! :) I do bet, however, that there will be people selling their G3, GF3, and GX1's though.

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    They have their annual reports online. You can check the performance on the camera division. You may be surprised at how little money they have to roll around in.

13. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Even for me, as a gearhead, this 6 month hardware cycle is getting a bit much. They should stick to a one year hardware refresh. Any more often and it just looks to me like they're floundering, constantly hashing something "new" hoping it will stick.

• Like Like x 2
  14. bigrig

bigrig Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2012
    If it doesn't have the 16MP sensor, what's the point?

15. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Why would you need 16mp on this? It's still a better sensor than the old one on the GF3.

16. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    The grip looks so much like my franiec grip on my e-pl3..... I keep thinking it's the very same.

I know it's not though. Looks good.

17. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    For black, I think the GF3's smooth looks better.
    But could be the picture's contrast.

Just wondering, if the current GF line didn't do good enough, would they chop it off ?

18. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    Or a camera looking for new customers.

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree. I am not gonna buy any camera body after getting my Oly OMD at least for the next 2 years . It doesn't bother me what Panny or Olympus offer as long as I know what I want and I am happy with what ever I have.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    How often do people tend to replace their bodies? I had the intention of keeping mine for a while...until I saw the new omd of course...