1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GF5 Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    6900977622_7c61994820.
    The Panasonic GF5 has been officially announced, and it's exactly as was rumored:
    • Similar size and design to GF3
    • "Newly developed 12.1-megapixel Live MOS sensor and redesigned Venus Engine"
    • 3.0-inch 920k touch display with redesigned interface
    • Light Speed AF (0.09s AF like GX1)
    • 14 filter options with option for real-time preview: Soft Focus, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, One Point Color, Cross Process, Star Filter, Expressive, Retro, High Key, Sepia, Hi Dynamic, Miniature Effect, Low Key and Toy Effect.

US MSRP: With 14-42mm power zoom: US $749, With 14-42mm standard zoom: US $599

Overall, the improvements from the GF3 seem to be relatively small. As a GF3 owner, I won't be upgrading. For new buyers looking for a very small Micro 4/3 camera, the GF line got a nice, if incremental, refresh. I'm guessing the sensor is the same as GF3, but the faster AF, higher res display, new user interface, and refined design are all nice additions.

More info:

[Thanks scottnz]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Underwhelming. G5 + 14-42 std zoom kit is priced at only $100 less than the GX1 with 14-42 std zoom. GX1 has more manual controls, can take the EVF, and has the 16 mp sensor. G5 needs to be cheaper. High-res LCD is finally here for Pany though! Woohoo!

On a tangent, did Pany ever fix the 14-42X blurring issue?

3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    If only Panasonic and Olympus would bring new cameras out more often.

Oh no hang on…

• Like Like x 4
  4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Still no *cough* IBIS *cough*

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    who is the market for this camera? I feel like gf3's are well under $400 most of the time and this one looks nearly the same. I think the constant model refreshes are getting to be a bit much. Will there be a gf6 by Christmas?

6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    How many m4/3 bodies have they made and you think they'll develop IBIS now?

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    You're looking at the wrong company.

People who want the latest and greatest? heh, I have no idea. And as Armanius, it's so close to the GX1. It is tiny (based on my experience w/ the GF3), but Panasonic's pricing structure is all sorts of screwy. They need to stick to slower cycles =(

8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I have said this before on another thread, but it seems like a waste of R&D for a new sensor with similar results as those ones in the G3 and GX1. Why not reuse the same sensor and pass on the savings (from R&D) to consumers?

As far as the IBIS, if they are going to have one, it's probably on their flagship camera. GH3 maybe?

9. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I remember the days when a new camera meant some excitement. This is so uninteresting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Yes I know its very unlikely. I'm just being cynical
    I don't see anything appealing from this model, feature wise, or price wise.
    So I'm still keeping my GF1.... for now

11. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The GF1 is still a very capable body. It's AF was well ahead of any Oly at the time.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I disagree a little. Mostly because I don't feel like any R&D even went into the camera. Aside from the GX/H line, it feels like they're just throwing new cameras out for the sake of it almost.

13. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I don't see any real reason for anyone to buy this camera, new to the market or not. I can't see it selling well at all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    But does this announcement mean the G5 and GH3 are just around the corner?

Paul

15. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Panasonic is probably still making a lot of sensors for Olympus cameras. There is an economies of scale for 12mp sensors rather than 16mp sensors even if Panasonic isn't using the exact same sensor as Olympus.

DXO performance improvements won't matter too much, the market for the GF5 is probably going to be jpeg and the sensor is probably optimized for jpeg capture.

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Given the primary market of p&s types, yearly updates are normal, since being able to market the 2012 model means a lot more than last years model.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    G5 is rumored for next month. GH3 probably isn't far off. Photokina at the latest.

18. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    So ... slap a new LCD, bump the ISO to 12.800, tweak the interface, add a button and a small rubber grip and you have a new camera, sort of ... actually not really. I'm starting to lose hope that the G5 might not be worth upgrading of they to the same thing as with GF5.

19. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Did the GF3 sell well at all? Maybe it did? Why would Panasonic make another camera with almost similar form factor with few upgrades? I remember reading posts about how "unconventional" (for lack of a better term) the shape/form of the GF3 is.

I, personally, don't subscribe to this form factor. I know some people would say that it is not how the camera looks. For me it has to be a good balance of form and function/performance. I am sure some people like the shape/style of the GF3 and GF5.

I preordered the OM-D. It seems like a very promising camera. I like the way it looks and I like the reviews/photos/videos I have seen so far. The last photo that our good friend russelolaguer just posted in his thread is simply stunning. I like Olympus m43 cameras but I won't go far out and proclaim the OM-D as "The KING of the MFT World." I think that is too much. Maybe when can say, "for now it is at the top of the MFT world" but saying that it's the "King" is just too much. After a few months the "King" will be dethroned by yet another model. Then that new one will be the "new King"? So every few months people will be declaring a new "King"? :rofl:

Just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

20. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Said every camera manufacturer. lol