Panasonic GF3 to Use 12 Megapixel (MP) Sensor?

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Yep, I saw that on 1001 Noisy Cameras a couple days ago. Olympus has been putting out that same position statement for a long time now. It's a fine line they have to walk between abandoning their DSLR users and embracing the future.

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yep, I saw that on 1001 Noisy Cameras a couple days ago. Olympus has been putting out that same position statement for a long time now. It's a fine line they have to walk between abandoning their DSLR users and embracing the future.

It certainly doesn't look too encouraging does it? Going back to your original post I would certainly share your disappointment at the GF3 only having 12MP. I'm not planning to buy one but it would certainly have moved the system on.

Going back to the electronic store I visited I just wonder what the average punter who doesn't look at photographic forums etc. and is just looking for a new camera will make of a GF3 at £?00 with 12MP and a Kodak micro compact at £75 with 14MP? Whats to convince them to buy the Panasonic? Who is going to explain the difference in sensor size and will it make any difference? What if its next to a Sony NEX-C3 with 16MP or even a Sony NEX-7 with 24MP?

On the next Olympus camera, E-P3? I think I will now be surprised if the sensor is larger than 12MP. My pessimistic crystal ball gazing indicates a re-designed Pen, with all the nice retro bits removed, a cheaper body, slightly smaller but with marginally faster AF, a flash, slightly better high ISO performance, 1080p video and lots more "art" filters. Just to "sweeten" it somewhat, there will be a kit with a 12mm f/2. (To compete with the Sony + 16mm kit)

To be honest that may well be all they can do at the moment, and we can all guess the reason for that.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
From the Olympus facebook site last thursday - courtesy of 43rumors

"We strongly believe in the future of the Micro Four Thirds system cameras. We recognize that professional and advanced photographers require certain features such as extreme durability and faster shooting specifications. The Olympus Four Thirds bodies like the E-5 fulfill these requirements and compliment our line of Zuiko Digital SpecificTM optics. In the future, the possibility may exist to create a Micro Four Thirds System camera that covers the demands of the professional or advanced amateur photographer. Time is needed in order to develop these types of technologies."

My bold.

All the technology exists. Start with an E5 body. Change the mount. Lose the mirror assembly. Move the sensor forward a few millimeters. Swap the pentaprism for en EVF. Done, a pro/advanced amateur m4/3 body.

Oh, and we'll need lenses too.

Fred

f/0.95

New to Mu-43
A part pixel size, that is absolutely not my concern, I'm frankly disappointed by this tendency to which the GF range appears to be going.
I'd prefer that Panasonic develops high-end bodies, competing with other mirrorless but also with reflex and rangefinders. GF1 has been a landmark in this sense and also very much appreciated by customers, so why completely change the way now?
Some more issues are coming to my mind:

- GF2 is not even one year old, why replace it now? It's a strange strategy, perhaps just to go out with something new alongside Sony NEX-C3 or whatelse.
- Why in the hell they have definitively discarded the hotshoe and viewfinder?
- How will be the usability with everything (or almost) in the touchscreen monitor? It's supposed to be very well organized and easy to access.
- Ugly shape (in my opinion)

sLorenzi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sidinei
The Olympus Four Thirds bodies like the E-5 fulfill these requirements and compliment our line of Zuiko Digital SpecificTM optics. In the future, the possibility may exist to create a Micro Four Thirds System camera that covers the demands of the professional or advanced amateur photographer. Time is needed in order to develop these types of technologies."[/I]

My bold.

I wouldn't expect for them to say they are making a pro m4/3, because it will be interpreted as a signal of the end of line for four thirds. It would just cannibalize their own market.

sLorenzi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sidinei
A part pixel size, that is absolutely not my concern, I'm frankly disappointed by this tendency to which the GF range appears to be going.

For what we've seen so far, enthusiasts will have to forget the GF line. I would love to find out Panasonic is repositioning GF series down to put another camera between it and G. Something smaller and with a viewfinder... but it's just a dream.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is un fortunate news, as the biggest weakness of 43 is the age of the sensor. With the new crop of Sony APS-C sensors as used by Nikon and Pentax, Panasonic REALLY needs to up their sensor game in both dynamic range,and especially high ISO ... And even more so if they are going to remove the hotshoe

Something smaller and with a viewfinder... but it's just a dream.

Um, that is the G3

sLorenzi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sidinei
Um, that is the G3

Smaller than G3. Sorry, I didn't make me understood. To be direct I just would like to see a m4/3 camera which looks like a Olympus PEN with a viewfinder.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I will wait for the GFiPhone. At this rate of reduction, it should be out in about a year...

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
What's the fascination with knowing this stuff two days early? All the big review sites have the camera in hand. The manufacturer supplies a press kit with a bunch of images and the press release so that those sites can ready their previews for the day of announcement. A couple days before release someone breaks NDA and leaks the info to their pal at a "____ Rumors" site (eg, Nikon Rumors, 43 Rumors, Photo Rumors, etc). That site then slowly eeks out the press kit info, milking it a bit at a time. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I'm guessing the manufacturers benefit from it all. Otherwise, they'd try to do something about to put a stop to the leaks (as Apple is famous for doing).

Real Name
Nic
A stripped down, super compact model is designed to bring new users into the system from the P&S market. More users, more people who might want to upgrade further into the system, more reason for Panasonic and Olympus to expand the range in the other direction as well. The GF3 shouldn't necessarily be seen as the only future direction that m4/3 is headed. Didn't the G3 just take the sensor techology fowards when it was announced a few weeks ago? Is that yesterday's news already when you can't even buy it yet?

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In a logical world, one would think a less low light capable sensor would drive the production of faster lenses, but we havent seen that either. If their market research is telling them it's all about size, then we are screwed.

First mirrorless group to come out with a bright zoom wins.

MP Burke

Mu-43 Rookie
An image obtained recently by four thirds rumors shows that the GF3 is being marketed as the small system camera with a built in flash.
I don't think those people looking for the successor to the GF1 should be discouraged by the GF3 having the older sensor. Panasonic knows that the majority of mirrorless cameras sold are those without a built-in EVF.
It doesn't make sense for them to have a range consisting of three EVF cameras (G2, G3 and GH2) with only the one without an EVF, the GF3. Thus it would seem logical* for them to have another GF type camera with the 16MP sensor, at a higher price and aimed more at the enthusiast, while the GF3 will be cheap and aimed at those who've previously used P&S cameras.

*It seems logical to me anyway. Over the next few months we will see what type of logic Panasonic are using.

Latest threads

Top Bottom