Panasonic GF3 to Use 12 Megapixel (MP) Sensor?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    5811093979_8c40fe8018_m.

According to 43 Rumors, the GF3 will be announced on Monday morning (June 13) and will use a 12MP sensor rather than the new 16MP sensor found in the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005058BTW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amipho-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B005058BTW">Panasonic G3</a>http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=&l=as2&o=1&a=B005058BTW&camp=217153&creative=399701" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />.

Our sources confirm that the release date is correct, and 43 Rumors has a very strong track record of accuracy this close to product release date, so I am confident that the rumored sensor specification is correct.

It is unlikely that we're talking about a newly developed 12MP sensor, and as someone who was looking for a second, smaller camera to complement a GH2, I'm disappointed. Hopefully the GF3 price will justify the use of the older sensor.

Rumors remain thin regarding specs for the upcoming Olympus cameras. Will the E-P3 use the same 12MP sensor as all the other Olympus cameras to date? We'll find out soon!

[B]Rumor Grade: A[/B]

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Panasonic is manipulating the GH2/G3 sensor to dictate what they want their customers to purchase,..

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Perhaps, but a lot of prospective buyers will look at the GF3 and the NEX-C3.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is true, Amin. The GF-3 is obviously meant to be a NEX-killer (as was the Olympus E-PL1), and you know how Sony loves those high pixel counts....

Though the truth is, 14MP on an APS-C sensor is small compared to 12MP on a Four-Thirds sensor. You're going to crop out 2-3MP of that 14MP if you want to match the aspect ratio (5:4 or 4:3) for print sizes. Resolution is irrelevant for web at the sizes we have, so print is the only thing you need high-resolution for; and the only print size that will use the full 14MP would be a tiny 4x6 which hardly requires much resolution. For just about every other print, a 12MP sensor at 4:3 ratio will give you more useable resolution than a 14MP sensor at 3:2 ratio (APS-C or Full Frame), and our lenses are actually designed to cover that sensor fully.

Too bad the consumer public don't think that far ahead.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don't get me wrong - I think the 12MP sensor in the G1 and E-P1 delivers very good image quality, and I'd be perfectly happy with it for my own use. However, the competition is stiff, and I hate to see our system fail to leverage its best technology.

I hope Olympus can come close to the size of the GF3 while maintaining sensor image stabilization. Coupled with the collapsible 14-42 II, it would be the smallest option with a zoom lens by a good margin. Meanwhile, Panasonic needs to focus on making the standard zoom smaller.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I bet Olympus could do it. Olympus has miniaturized the Sensor Shift IS system beyond what anybody else could do, and had started that with the revamp of the IS in the E-620, at that time the smallest DSLR body in the world.

I always find it ironic that Sony and Minolta had introduced that technology to the world, but Olympus were the ones who were able to perfect it and make it small enough to fit a compact mirrorless body. So now Olympus has IBIS in their PEN while Sony was unable to fit it in their NEX. ;)

7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I'm beginning to wonder whether we're getting some indication of where CSC's and m4/3 in particular are headed. Ever smaller, ever more software control.

I was in an electronics store the other day and looked at a display of really small, really cheap compacts. Plastic body the size of a packet of cigarettes with one big red button on it.

Maybe I've just seen what the GF5 will look like.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you sure that wasn't a novelty cigarette lighter? ;)

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the more I see where it's heading, the less interested I am in sticking around.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't personally see it heading in one way or the other. I only see the lines expanding. Panasonic started off with the larger :43: bodies, and now have to expand their line in the smaller range. Olympus started out small, and would probably be expected to start expanding in the larger range (aka rumors of a new Olympus "pro" PEN). They're just trying to fill every niche in a completely open market.

11. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Unfortunately we seem to be getting novelty cameras.

I hope you're right. I'm beginning to suspect however that its going the other way.

I'll believe a "pro" Pen when I see it.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with Ned. The GH2 and G3 are the latest versions of their respective lines, and both speak well for the system.

13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Unless they have some magic to improve the noise and dynamic range to match the G3 then this will be off my plate if it has the same 12MP sensor. Hopefully Olympus will come to the rescue.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I hope you're right....and I hope it a form factor that is not like a modern DSLR. I don't care how great the camera is, if it looks like a GH2 (or a Canon or Nikon) I'm not buying. The Pen looks great.....no reason they can't make it a little bigger and put in a big, beautiful viewfinder.

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And this doesn't bother me in the least bit...

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And the NEX-5 is currently outselling both....

17. let derepati

What's the fascination with knowing this stuff two days early? All the big review sites have the camera in hand. The manufacturer supplies a press kit with a bunch of images and the press release so that those sites can ready their previews for the day of announcement. A couple days before release someone breaks NDA and leaks the info to their pal at a "____ Rumors" site (eg, Nikon Rumors, 43 Rumors, Photo Rumors, etc). That site then slowly eeks out the press kit info, milking it a bit at a time. Rinse, wash, repeat.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Material for forum threads....:wink:

19. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Its a rotten job but somebodys got to do it.

20. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    From the Olympus facebook site last thursday - courtesy of 43rumors

"We strongly believe in the future of the Micro Four Thirds system cameras. We recognize that professional and advanced photographers require certain features such as extreme durability and faster shooting specifications. The Olympus Four Thirds bodies like the E-5 fulfill these requirements and compliment our line of Zuiko Digital SpecificTM optics. In the future, the possibility may exist to create a Micro Four Thirds System camera that covers the demands of the professional or advanced amateur photographer. Time is needed in order to develop these types of technologies."

My bold.