1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic (GF2) battery drain when camera off.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wattseee, Oct 19, 2011.

1. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Hi all,

i'm starting to get really annoyed with the battery in my GF2 being completely drained after a few days of no use. It's been doing it since day one but I'm noticing it more now because i've got another body and the GF2 often doesn't get used for several days.

Is this a common problem with the GF2 and other Panasonic cameras or have I got a dud?

It does it with the original and a 3rd party battery.

2. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
  3. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I realise that all rechargeable batteries self discharge to a certain extent but this GF2 is a joke. I've got a 5yr old Panasonic P&S and a Canon DSLR that I can leave for months and still have some power left. I guess they're also using Li-ion.

I suspect the camera is drawing a small current even when camera is off, as opposed to battery self discharging which would happen regardless of whether battery is in or out of the camera.

Might be time for some testing with battery in and out of the camera.

4. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    this is from wiki.

Self-discharge rate (per month)

8% at 21 °C
    15% at 40 °C
    31% at 60 °C

This certainly doesn't account for the approx. 100% per fortnight I'm experiencing.

5. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Good idea, I think you will find that the battery is faulty.
    I have no such experience with my GF2 battery.

6. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    hopefully, but it's happening with 2 different batteries and they both hold charge fine when out of the camera.

7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    That is strange, battery in my GF2 after one week of occasional use is still showing full. I can imagine that there can be some battery drain in power saving state, but when switched OFF there should be no drain except self discharge. Something is definitely wrong with your GF2 :confused:

8. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    agree fully, even left switched on (and going into auto shutdown) for over a week, hardly dented the capacity on both L1 and GF1 (I know! I should be more carefull....)
    Something definitely wrong - get it back to Panasonic asap.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

How about this?

By chance, after using the camera do you allow the camera's power saving feature to turn the camera off, or do you physically turn the camera off with the power switch?

The power save feature will place it in sleep mode, during which a small amount of power is consumed. You should be turning it off with the power switch.

It is not normal to have a good battery discharge in a few days.

10. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    My GF2 retains charge well.

I'd be inclined to take it back if it's discharging so quickly when not switched on.

11. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Problem definitely occurs when power switch is completely off (ie. not power saver).

Taking the camera back is not so easy. I bought it in Dubai but live in Australia. I realised after un-boxing that the "International Warranty" offered is only valid for the Gulf region (no Europe, no Americas, no Asia etc). despite the salesman assuring me that Australia was covered. grrrrr. I did think about returning it, but decided to take a chance after some quick testing to make sure it worked.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Your best bet, then, may simply be to take the battery out in between uses.

13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Battery dtainage described in the manual.

I'm sorry I cannot site the page from the pathetic manual, which refers to this issue. However, the manual specifically mentions that the battery should be removed from the camera when not shooting! Even though the camera is "off" there are still functions discharging the battery.

I have also found instances when the EVL or display remain on even in the auto off mode.

I keep 2 spare batteries with me at all times. I haven't had a shooting gig since acquiring the camera. I will pick up an additional spare or 2 next time a gig comes up.

Chrome

14. Wasabi Bob

Best you have it checked.

When the camera is powered off, the battery is only used to indirectly retain your time / date settings. That in itself will not discharge the battery in the time you mentioned.

When the camera was new, you need to keep a battery in for ~ the 1st 24 hours during which time a memory backup capacitor is being charged. Assuming the battery is good, it should not go dead in just a few days of non-use.

My bet is in a bad battery. I seldom remove the battery and have used them after the camera lay dormant for up to 2 weeks with no obvious discharge problem.

15. abern

abern New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2012
    Hi all,

Any update on this?
    I am having exactly the same issue than the thread creator...

How did this end?

16. cee

cee New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2012
    I am perplexed as well. I have a GF2 that is 1 year old. It is now having the same battery drain issue as the original post. After one day of placing a fully charged battery in the camera, with the top camera switch in the OFF position, the battery is fully drained! this is even after only taking a dozen still photos in that time frame. There is something else drawing power from the battery. Very strange!!

I have two Lumix batteries, and keep one in the charger alternating between them, so I have a spare--except when I insert the battery into the charger and forget to plug it in, which just happened today! Yes, the draining issue occurs with both batteries.

Time to contact Panasonic.

17. Wasabi Bob

Are you using the poiwer switch?

Are you relying on the camera's auto off power save feature, or are you physically turning the camera OFF? The auto off / power save feature places it in a sleep mode. Reduced power consumption, but definitely still consuming power. Turn the power switch OFF.

18. cee

cee New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2012
    ....I am physically turning the camera OFF with the top switch.

I guess it could be that both of my 1 yr old, lightly used batteries are shot.