Panasonic GF1 upgrade - to GM1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ejackso1, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ejackso1

ejackso1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    When I sold off my Canon 60D two years ago, I replaced it with a cheap GF1 body from eBay, along with a 14mm f/2.5 I found here on mu-43.com for very cheap, and I was amazed at the quality of the pictures I could take with this tiny little setup. The only thing I don't like about my GF1 is iso /low light performance. I really find myself struggling to take good pictures indoors, even in very reasonable indoor lighting, without flash. I pretty much have to cranky it up to ISO 3200 and then do a ton of post-processing to get any decent results. I'm all about shooting with natural lighting and really don't like having to use flash, so iso performance is very important to me.

I've been considering a body upgrade for a while because of this, and in the past, the GX1 was my most likely candidate for an upgrade, as it is basically a GF1 with a better sensor. I have not been paying attention to new camera releases, and I'm sure there are better options for me than the GX1 available now. I've been eyeing the GM1 as I think I can live without the EVF (I've been doing so with my GF1) and don't want to spend too much money.

What do you guys thing would be a good upgrade for me coming from my beloved GF1? Is the GM1 I've been eyeing my best bet, should I be looking at anything else?

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    The GX7. Has the same sensor as the GM1, but a lot more camera for your money. These are being sold at a reasonable price at the time being.

3. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    The GM1 is a great little camera. It does reasonably well in low light--much better than my Canon 7D. I use the 14mm with it a lot and those are a great combo. I don't like to use flash either and have been pretty happy with indoor pictures taken at ISO 3200. It doesn't have a lot in the way of manual controls, but the touchscreen works really well once you get used to it. If small size isn't critical, I'm sure the GX7 would be equally good.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

the GF is a nice little camera ... pesonally I like mine and while I have a GH1 also end up using the GF a bit more. The ISO advantages of the GH1 are notable, but I don't think that without significant Post Processing you'll see much "GOSH" in the RAW files, only the in-camera post processed JPGs

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH1___920_632_630

comparing the three you'll see specs are VERY similar
    22.3 bits on the GM1 vs 21.6 GH and 21.2 on the GF ... not a lot of extra depth of colour there...

EV is 11.7 on the GM and 11.6 on the GH and 10.3 on the Gf ... so my GH will be more or less identical to the GM in performance and it would appear by numbers both better than the GF1. Yet having both I don't think its much different.

I keep my GH1 GF1 pair because both use the same battery / charger and same shutter release cable ... which on th GF1 is a nice touch.

YMMV but that's worth looking at.

PS: I note that my main point is missing from my supporting argument. My point is that while the GM is a sweet camera you may not in fact notice much superiority of image quality (of course you'll notice its smaller :) )

For instance with the GH1 set to ISO 3200 you actually have an ISO of 4176, the GM is under it till 6400 (when it is only 4707 or still even really). You need to set ISO 12800 to see a good 1stop shutter improvement):
    16567474575_979ef927c0_b.

and the SN drops off fast with the GM showing not much noise advantages over the good 'ole GH1

15947260993_f11d6b16fc_b.

Thus the comparisons between the GM1 data and my GH1...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'm really enjoying my GM1's. No complaints about the image quality, and the transportability of such a small camera is wonderful. If the touchscreen controls weren't so intuitive I think I would find the slightly fiddly manual controls a pain, but for 90% of the adjustments I find I just use the touchscreen. I've only missed having a viewfinder on one shot in two months of shooting. The short battery life is a bit irritating but not the end ofthe world. The small size brings compromises but I don't regret my purchase at all.

• Agree Agree x 1