Panasonic GF1 Software - crappy customer care

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CalmestPanic, Jun 5, 2011.

1. CalmestPanic

CalmestPanic New to Mu-43

May 17, 2011
    I recently purchased a second hand GF1 but unfortunately it did not come with the bundled software "PHOTOfunSTUDIO".

So I tried the Panasonic website for their download section. They only had "Update" software, but this requires PHOTOfunSTUDIO to already be installed.

So I emailed the customer care to ask for either a disc to be sent to me, or for a internet link that I could download it from ..... then I got the undernoted email stating that due to licensing issues they can't give it to me, but I can buy it from them!

Now, I've had a few camera's in my time, and the software has always been available for free download (mostly Canon), so it's really p!$$ed me off that Panasonic are asking me to pay for this to the extent I'm considering selling the camera again and never buying panny again!

Does anybody know how I can get a copy of PHOTOfunSTUDIO, or if there is an good quality alternative software programme I can download/use?

[I use Photoshop for pictures, but for the videos I've had to download "VLC Media Player" which plays them, but it's not very user friendly for converting or burning].

<extract of email from Panasonic Customer Care>

In response, regrettably, I would advise that due to licensing, the software is not available to download. I would confirm however that accessories such as replacement CD-ROMs are generally available for purchase through our Customer Communications Centre on 0844 844 3856 or on-line through our website Welcome to Panasonic UK & Ireland.

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

Kind regards,
    Jill Farrar
    Team Leader
    Customer Communications Centre
    Panasonic UK, a branch of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH
  2. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    I really like FastStone, which is free (they request donations).
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd be happy to loan you a disc, if that would satisfy you.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    Panasonic purchases licenses from this company, and provides it with their cameras. They do not own the software and therefore cannot freely re-issue it at whim. The license holder in your case is the original purchaser, and therefore it's hardly Panasonic's fault that he/she didn't provide the disc when you bought your camera second hand.

There is also plenty of freely available, image editing software around, like Google Picasa and GIMP, and lots of cheap paid software like Apple Aperture ($99) and Adobe Lightroom ($199).
  5. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I don't think Faststone will open .m2ts video files or variations thereof. Do an Internet search there are many low cost programs such as Panasonic AVCHD Editor and free programs such as Any Video Converter.
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Photoshop elements handles AVCHD just fine
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    TC: is that Photoshop Premiere Elements? I'm guessing that's the case as regular Photoshop Elements is for still photo editing and cataloging.
  8. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Well.. if it's any consolation to you, the supplied software sucks. :biggrin: The only useful feature is maybe the video downloading (and burning?).
    If you are willing to spend a couple hundred bucks more, I recommend you to get LR :thumbup: if not, there are a lot of free software that can view the jpgs, or even raw files
    For video, I use HandBrake to convert them to mp4. Not sure how I can burn them to play on DVD players, but I haven't got the need to so far.
  9. CalmestPanic

May 17, 2011
    Many thanks for all the replies !

Thanks for the licensing explanation Sherlock. I did realise it's wasn't all Panasonic's fault, and part of it was just ranting, so apologies, but even if it's not Panny's software you'd think they work out a way to deal with situations like mine, which surely can't be unique.

As for all your alternative suggestions, thank you very much, loving this forum almost as much as my new camera!

10. CalmestPanic

May 17, 2011
    Thanks Luke, much appreciated, but USA to Edinburgh, Scotland's a probably a bit of a stretch for a loan.

11. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Your problem is not with Panasonic but the person you bought the GF! from. Panasonic supplies one copy of the software with the camera and the previous owner has the copy Ask that person to give you the copy that came with the camera, That being said the program, to me, would not be worth the effort.
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    err... since when can you download the canon software freely? They also provide the updates for DPP, but you need the original disc to install the base version. Though, I've never looked into the possibility the "update" is easily circumvented.
  13. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I'm one of those anal people that saves the box and everything in it and I provide this with the camera to anyone I sell it to later on. I wish more people would do that.

Anyway, as someone else suggested, I highly recommend Lightroom. It's worth the cost. You can't edit videos in Lightroom though. For now, I just take the cheap and easy way out for videos and use the free Moviemaker that came with Windows 7. You can't do much in that but for now it's all I really need. I mainly care about still photos and Lightroom is awesome for that.
  14. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Another vote for Adobe Lightroom here. That saved me a goodly amount of switching back and forth as I had to evaluate a new lens on a Panasonic GF2. Between the horror that is Silkypix and the less-than-stellar Olympus Master 2 programs, it was going to be a long slow boat with all the RW2 and ORF files my test shoots had generated.
  15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, I have the Photoshop/Premiere Elements with both
  16. IronLion

IronLion New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2011
    If you think that Panasonic customer service is crabby ... PhotoFunStudio is even more crabby. It is a piece of sh... I hate it. Seems the company has not the money to hire a decent software programmer. Go for another software. Canon´s zoom browser (free) is miles ahead with more and better functions. But one can´t use it with Panasonic. Where the fault is? Choose yourself.