Panasonic G9 vs Olympus OMD EM1 mark 3

sznajder

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello guys -- which of those 2 cameras produce better looking JPEGs - no RAW just SOOC pictures ? Any noticable difference in DR or colors? is it better to buy G9 - despite its over 3 yaers old camera or go with Olympus Mark 3 ? Thanks in advance.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
You could take a look at this direct comparison from DPReview:
(I don't know if they discuss the exact thing you asked about). I would say that there would be little difference in DR, since they both use the same sensor. And no doubt both cameras have a million different settings that affect the jpgs they produce (sharpness, warm/cold, etc, etc). I know that Oly cameras do. So I'd be willing to bet you could get both to produce similar results with a little effort.

That's a good way to start a flame war within the m43 community, by the way. Both cameras have their VERY enthusiastic fans (I'm Olympus!).:)

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I would think that it would be close enough that it could get pretty subjective. DPR has a pretty handy studio comparison tool where you should be able to compare both cameras across various exposure settings, and even do RAW or JPG

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison

I think the major differences between these two are more bore out in their feature set, handling, and price.

emorgan451

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Do you have any previous experience with either Panasonic or Olympus? Is there a reason for only those two cameras as your options? If you give us some more information for what you're looking for then the collective wisdom could probably come up with a better recommendation.

sznajder

Mu-43 Rookie
Do you have any previous experience with either Panasonic or Olympus? Is there a reason for only those two cameras as your options? If you give us some more information for what you're looking for then the collective wisdom could probably come up with a better recommendation.
Thank you for asking. Ive been using GH4 for 2 years and now G9 for 3. Overall , im happy with picture and video quality but there is other factor. Ive spotted many dust specks in 12-35 2.8 lens,a year later same happened to 35-100.
Now with the G9 - which looks like brand new camera Ive noticed hairline crack right by rear screen hinge - camera was never dropped nor handled unproperly. Honestly, those issues getting on my nerves. Im thinking about Olympus now, especially still have Panleica 42.5, 8-18 and Olympus 12-100 . Thinking about Fuji and Sony FF as well but really love those above mentioned lenses and im getting tired of system changes over last decade. Basically - im asking if picture quality will be on pair on those cameras and CC better with Olympus?
Mario

Alex2

Mu-43 Regular
What you describe can happen to any brand. I used to shoot Canon, and some of my most precious and expensive lenses were filled with dust particles. Not a pretty sight, but fortunately not visible on any photo... You might want to take a look at the famous Lens Rentals blog articles that support what I noticed for myself. None of the many lenses I possessed over the years (Canon, Sigma, OIympus, Panasonic, Samyang) ever developed any defect...

Cameras are delicate. My first two SLRs (a Praktica and a Minolta) suffered from a broken shutter curtains. Both of my Canons (a 20D and a 40D) had to be repaired, because the mirror mechanisms became defunct. My Olympus E-M5 Mark I developed hairline cracks in all corners of the enclosure of the rear screen, which did not affect the functionality. I had an E-M1 for a short time (we did not bond), and it had a failing rear control wheel and 'golden' specs on the EVF, which was a well known defect at that time.

My current cameras are a Panasonic GM1, an Olympus E-M5 Mark II and a Panasonic G9. None of these have suffered from any defect so far...

Friends of mine that have used Fuji and Nikon have had their share of defects as well...

I would say: as long as image quality is not affected, just shoot on. Else, send the device in for repair. Better that than to just give up and replace them.

Last edited:

Web-Betty

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Melissa
That's a good way to start a flame war within the m43 community, by the way. Both cameras have their VERY enthusiastic fans (I'm Olympus!).:)

Me, watching this thread. (Oly myself, as well.)

200.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

itisasitis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Henrik
What is better looking depends more than anything on personal taste I would say. For the G9 I really like CineV, cloudy WB and i.dynamic auto. Some may find that oversaturated. As others have mentioned, both cameras are capable of producing fantastic jpegs, it's mostly about finding what YOU prefer.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Thank you for asking. Ive been using GH4 for 2 years and now G9 for 3. Overall , im happy with picture and video quality but there is other factor. Ive spotted many dust specks in 12-35 2.8 lens,a year later same happened to 35-100.
Now with the G9 - which looks like brand new camera Ive noticed hairline crack right by rear screen hinge - camera was never dropped nor handled unproperly. Honestly, those issues getting on my nerves. Im thinking about Olympus now, especially still have Panleica 42.5, 8-18 and Olympus 12-100 . Thinking about Fuji and Sony FF as well but really love those above mentioned lenses and im getting tired of system changes over last decade. Basically - im asking if picture quality will be on pair on those cameras and CC better with Olympus?
Mario
My first Olympus had a crack in the bezel around the screen. Same as Alex above.
It was a recognised issue and fixed (replaced screen) without quibble

My EM1 2 has rubber peeling off grip. Still under warranty. Will get it fixed.

I wouldn't be concerned for brand as said, all makes suffer to some degree

Latest threads

Top Bottom