Panasonic G9 User reports

Ross

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Ross
I am surprised that I do not see any user reports on the Panasonic G9. I know it only just been released, but some one out there must be using it, and I for one would be interested in reading about its use in the hands of real people shooting real images. I currently use the GX8 and the 100-400 Pana lens for wildlife and have thought about getting the new G9 for wildlife. So the experience of others would be a useful input to my decision to get a g9.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gave my G9 its first real try out yesterday shooting a surfing event featuring 30 year old plus single fin surfboards. I tried shooting jpeg only, then raw and then Jpeg and raw, combined with as many different auto focus modes and settings possible. After coming mainly from Olympus cameras the learning curve was steep but the camera didn't let me down. Most of the shots were in focus and the few that weren't were mainly because I missed the back button focus every so often with my finger.
I don't really like the position of the button that plays back your shots, I missed that all day long and kept pressing the evf button by mistake.
I used the 100-400mm lens and was very happy with how it performed on the camera. I had it mounted on a monopod, it helps when holding the camera for long periods in the hot Queensland sun.
Image quality is great in both Jpeg and Raw with the Jpegs being especially easy to bring out extra details through highlight and shadow adjustments in Lightroom.
Still a long way to go yet to become fully accustomed to this camera but first impression are overwhelming positive.
Here are just a few shots from yesterday.

Single Fin Day (1 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (2 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (3 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (4 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (5 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (6 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (7 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (8 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (9 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (10 of 11).jpg
Single Fin Day (11 of 11).jpg

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't find any of those concerns worrying frankly. They either aren't implicated in my uses or I reckon they're carping.
And IME body and lens combinations can perform quite differently and if peeps don't say what they're running the info isn't useful.

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In that thread wasn't the magenta cast only evident with shadow boosting @ 200 ISO? Then the question is what program was used and do others have the same effect.
And how often are you going to underexpose by 5 stops?

pcr1040

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for sharing. Your shots of surfers are excellent. So I guess, the G9 works well on moving targets.

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
He/someone did a retest and it showed up in other ISOs as well, and IIRC less than 5 stops (maybe 3).

Dunno what converter they used.
Yes, repeated with oranges. Under by 4 stops then boosted in ACR. Inconsistent results.
I shoot a lot of contrasty birds and set the camera to boost shadows and cut highlights, and then also often boost shadowed black plumage in LR, with very good results.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
interestingly, I have noticed that the Pen-F can show magenta casts too when heavily pushing shadows. It doesn't seem to happen with the 16Mp cameras nor the E-M1ii - maybe it's a symptom of the Sony 20Mp sensor used in the Pen and the Panasonic cameras?

Darcy M

Mu-43 Regular
In that thread wasn't the magenta cast only evident with shadow boosting @ 200 ISO? Then the question is what program was used and do others have the same effect.
And how often are you going to underexpose by 5 stops?
Ok, this magenta thing is bugging me. I am not on DPR. So I ran a simple test on this image which is shot at iso 200. 1st and second image are using a custom colr profile created with x-rite color passport. the 3rd is adobe color profile. images 2 and 3 are have exposure cranked up 3+. all other settings are the same.
I feel there is too much bad press on this for Panasonic when the problem is really Adobe.
_.jpg
_-2.jpg
_-3.jpg

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Quote from a DPR post about hot pixels

If you have problem spotting them, shot at ISO 25600 or lower ISO then brighten in post with the lens defocused, then inspect the image 100%.

If i buy one and am happy with it i must remember this trick so as to become unhappy :biggrin:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you have problem spotting them, shot at ISO 25600 or lower ISO then brighten in post with the lens defocused, then inspect the image 100%.

If i buy one and am happy with it i must remember this trick so as to become unhappy :biggrin:
Tee he he he he. If you look long & hard enough at anything, eventually you'll convince yourself there is something wrong with it. :)

JHFoto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff
I am using a G9 + Panasonic 100-300mm II for wildlife photography and I am very impressed with its performance. See the Birds section for examples..

DaveEP

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Those are hot, in fact you could trim a Christmas tree with them, bit disapointed about the noise at 25000 iso.
It's easy to be disappointed, but let's keep things in perspective.

When I shot with film I rarely went above ISO400. When I shot at ISO1600 is was B&W and noisy as hell.

Just a few years back I had 'the best full frame camera available', which at the time was the 16MP Canon 1Ds mkII it only went to ISO3200 and was not far off as noisy as that. We're now shooting at 3 stops higher ISO with a crop sensor that's also higher resolution and complaining :)

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's easy to be disappointed, but let's keep things in perspective.

When I shot with film I rarely went above ISO400. When I shot at ISO1600 is was B&W and noisy as hell.

Just a few years back I had 'the best full frame camera available', which at the time was the 16MP Canon 1Ds mkII it only went to ISO3200 and was not far off as noisy as that. We're now shooting at 3 stops higher ISO with a crop sensor that's also higher resolution and complaining :)
My bad i should have put a smiley on the post,i take my G80 upto iso 6400 never use nr on the main subject and dont worry about a bit of noise. :biggrin:

G80 at ISO 6400

37710487925_a5d1a2269f_o.jpg P1090065 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Latest posts