Panasonic G9 underexposure and Darktable

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
For a moment I thought DT 3.6 fixed this, but I was editing photos from my older G2 and Olympus E-510. DT reflected the histogram that I saw in camera, so it must be using their base curve??
When I load the G9 images, DT shows underexposed by at least 1.5 stops. I just dont get it. I may go into settings and load the base curve anyway and tweak Filmic as I go.
You can disable the base curve in the main settings.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Dt3.6 should be running in scene referred mode, meaning the base curve is disabled and filmic enabled. This is the default behavior.

Did you reopen the image in dt 3.6 or did you import the image?
For as far as I know, dt is backwards compatible with older versions of the workflow. I would assume that if you used the base curve for that image in the past, dt will show that base curve, but if you reimport it, it will use filmic....

You can always create a duplicate of the image, clicking the 'original' button in the darkroom dupluczte manager. This should create a new instance in the scene referred mode (if you have dt set up that way)

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
I just tested this myself: I set DT to display referred and legacy color adaption, restarted DT, created a duplicate (original) of an earlier imported image and this new duplicate uses the base curve.

Change DT to scene referred and modern color adaption, restarted, made a new duplicate of the same image, checked the history it now shows the filmic module while the previous duplicate still uses the base curve.

Last edited:

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
Hello there - delayed reply as usual.
Yes base curve is disabled in Scene-referred mode. I'm getting used to that.
I just increase the image exposure as necessary and go on with editing.
I am hoping they find a fix with this. i would like the DT histogram to be a close as possible to the camera histogram, and not 1.5 stops off!

Real Name
Mike
Warning: not sure of the below. But it's my interpretation.

Camera histogram is based on what the JPG would be, if I understand it right (and RawTherapee last I checked goes out of its way to match JPG tone curve to start with). Reality is that in many cases it's not close to the distribution of values in the RAW. Hence the difference.

So the issue is on the camera end.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom