Panasonic G9 Rubber Patches

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Panasonic must’ve been listening to Olympus regarding which adhesives to use on their cameras...

Yes, that's what I thought.
I always find Panasonic cameras more robust and well build than Olympus, but looks like cutting in production costs are putting Panasonic on the same level... unfortunately.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Sugru.

I replaced the thumb rest on my E-P5 with Sugru almost 2 years ago. It's still super grippy, shows no signs of peeling and minimal abrasive wear. There are several threads here about it and a few great videos on YouTube on how to get better results from it.
Yep I have "Sugru" bookmarked for when I need to get it. Seems a lot of people have good results with it.

fwestivus

Mu-43 Rookie
Just had a brand spanking new G9 delivered and... It came pre-peeled. Thumb grip and bottom corner of the card door again.
I think I might send it back, then wait for a second hand one to come up for a good price and invest in some rubber glue.

fwestivus

Mu-43 Rookie
Given this one was a brand new camera, I'm thinking it must be the heat or maybe the temperature changes from hot to cold at night in a warehouse. Rubber metal and plastic all expand and contract at different rates, so maybe tbga pushes it over the edge.

I guess at least it doesn't affect weather sealing and its not like that soft touch coating that sigma used to put on their lenses which has now mostly turned to horrid gunky stuff.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Is it poor glue, or the hot weather we are having that is causing this?

I think it's a combination of both. The area that are affected have the most pressure with thumb and palm. The heat and moisture from hand with the higher temps of summer seem to cause the rubber to expand, and the adhesive to weaken.

Latest threads

Top Bottom