Panasonic G9 Reviews & Experiences

lecter

Mu-43 Regular
Personally I got excellent results shooting portraits with face/eye detection, single shot and AFC.

lecter

Mu-43 Regular
With quick moving subjects?
Moving subject...maybe not too quickly. I'm talking about portraits. But I normally use AFC to be always ready.
The right distance from the subject make the difference. With the same prime lens (42.5 1.7), if you are at the right distance the AFC works fine even with portraits. One or two steps back make difference from sharp to soft image. But not out of focus.

At least this is my feeling with the G9

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Moving subject...maybe not too quickly. I'm talking about portraits. But I normally use AFC to be always ready.
The right distance from the subject make the difference. With the same prime lens (42.5 1.7), if you are at the right distance the AFC works fine even with portraits. One or two steps back make difference from sharp to soft image. But not out of focus.

At least this is my feeling with the G9

Stepping back makes a difference, because of deeper depth of field?

Maybe I'm having a hard time distinguishing between softness vs out of focus. My primary point of reference are blurry eye lashes and eyebrows even with shutter speeds fast enough to freeze movements (even though my subject isn't moving that fast).

lecter

Mu-43 Regular
Stepping back makes a difference, because of deeper depth of field?
Mmmm I'm not sure is a matter of DOF. It's looks like that using AFC for portraits, but increasing slightly the normal distance between the point of focus and sensor, the AF (or maybe the lens itself), loses a bit of sharpness.

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Goodo.
I've sat with the camera and the manual and it's got me bushed. Can't see how eg to extract and delete shots or magnify one.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
There is a sub-menu during playback of high speed bursts that let's the user go frame by frame, and which allows for enlarging each of the frames individually. It wasn't very intuitive to get to that screen initially.

It took me a long time to find this after reading your comment, but now that I figured out it's so simple. When in playback mode, all you have to press is down, then you can cycle through each frame and either zoom or delete them. Glad you pointed this out, and as simple as it is, I didn't figure it out. It seems that if they are going to group the shots like they do with the 4k/6k bursts, they could at least keep the interface the same?

Gatormac2112

Mu-43 Regular
There must be 2 ways to do it then, because I didn’t press down on anything. It sounds like it would be faster than my way, which I found by accident.

When you review the burst image I tap on the LCD which pops up a little box on the lower left, I tap on that which brings up another box above that box, I ignore those and tap on the checkered box on the right which pulls up all of the images in the burst which you can then go through like normal.

I’ll be interested to hear what he presses down on too since that sounds a lot faster

Gatormac2112

Mu-43 Regular
OK. If you just press the multi-shot PB button at bottom left, you're at shot no. 1 and can page through from there.
Glad you got it worked out. It would suck if we couldn’t review burst shots! I’m loving my G9.

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've consistently found that when the bird is in mid-ground or further. Ditto with the G85.

Single box hasn't proved to be a solution. Very hard to get on a distant moving bird and when the bird is closer and you can cover the box often enough it doesn't focus at all.

Gordon Laing reckons CDAF favours the more distant lock option while PFAF favours the closer one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom