Panasonic G9 Reviews & Experiences

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, Nov 8, 2017.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I started posting links to reviews in another topic but that will soon get lost.
    Thought a new thread should be raised.
    Below cross posted from another topic

Australian Photography First Look

First look: Panasonic G9 - Australian Photography

DPReview

Gordon Lang

Wex Photo

Three Blind Men - interview with Sean Robinson of Panasonic

PhotoJoseph - Can be powered by external USB Battery, nice

Park Cameras
    Panasonic Lumix G9 - First Look Hands-On Review

London Camera Exchange
    Panasonic Lumix G9 | First Look & Hands-On

Clifton Cameras
    Panasonic Lumix G9 and 200mm F2.8 Leica | First Look

The Canadian Boys
    TCSTV Live: Panasonic G9 & 200mm F2.8 Preview with Trisha Gillings

Panasonic Intro
    Introducing Panasonic LUMIX G9 - The photographer's choice -

Shooting Impression by Bence Máté
    Panasonic LUMIX G9 Shooting Impression by Bence Máté

Panasonic Australia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_x-nrqW7Xw

MyChannelmax [Digital Camera Magazine Editor]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40sr2eGygI

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sigh - why are so many reviews done on video these days? I really just want to read something!!

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Here you go:

News - Lumix G Experience

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    We've youtube to thanks for that, I think.

5. Timp

Timp New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2017
  6. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
  7. Timp

Timp New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I think with the very early "reviews" most are just reading of the spec list and maybe say how the camera feels in the hands. The spec list aspect would be very obvious in writing, because it is essentially non-content. The camera feel/ergonomics part actually works rather better in video.

Once proper independent reviewers get their hands on the cameras there will be written pieces as well, I'm sure. I also think, that Richard Wong (is that his name) mentioned a written blog post in his video, that he would update. So I guess he has a written version. I found his video to be the most informative and also the one that seemed to show the least bias.

9. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Just over a year ago everyone shit their pants when advertising eyeballs/cpm turned out to be made of complete garbage numbers, particularly devastating people's engagement with print articles. But video engagement didn't have the same amount of arse fall out of it. So when you see people eyeroll about websites doing "pivot to video" that's what it's from.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My problem with video reviews is many fold:

- They take too long. I can read content much faster than listen/watch something.
    - I often want to read where the sound would be intrusive or where I don't have the bandwidth for video.
    - Presenters often think they're working in Hollywood and try to add "personality" which just gets in the way.
    - You can't show detailed information, nor image comparisons etc in video very easily.

I could go on. I also think it's good for people to write stuff down - more likely to get clarity on what you want to say that way!

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    Gordon Laing does both, he makes a long video review and then he summarizes it well onto text. His review convinced me of getting the G85.

• Like Like x 1
  12. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Gordon Laing and David Thorpe are probably the two I take most notice of re MFT decisions. I also really like Jacob James for Panasonic stuff because he takes his gear on assignment and the context is real working conditions. yes, he's an ambassador so you have to keep that in mind, but at least he uses the gear rather than just a technical rundown.

I wanted a GX9, but i'm a chance to buy the G9 whereas I never really considered a GH5. Interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    The 3 blind men vid is by far the most revealing in my book, so far.

AF stills discussion starts around 32:00.

More processing power plus 'bold' moves is all they're saying about changes that are otherwise commercial in confidence it seems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I like that Imaging Resource Review as it gives a few pictures I have not seen elsewhere, like how the tripod hole seems to be more on certre making it possibly in a good place for those using quick release plates so they may sit central on the camera, and won't foul with a large diameter lens. Hope this is the case.

Tripod Mount. bottom.

• Like Like x 3
  15. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    I'm actually warming to it (the G9) My GX8 is still working perfectly for me, I'm in no hurry at all to upgrade, I'll wait a year or so to see if a GX9/90/95 appears, if nothing happens, then I might be tempted if I see a good sale, or go traveling where I can claim back the tax. Or any combination of the above :)

PS, the size doesn't really worry me, it's only a little bit taller than my GX8 -the depth of the grip is inconsequential, as I've never managed to actually use a camera to take pictures without a lens attached (which negates the grip size) but the weight is giving me pause. I know for fact I hesitate taking my 6D with me at times down to the weight, the G9 is getting a bit too close for comfort. And no flippy EVF

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    Now that has me very intrigued. Watching that vid, they seem quietly confident that the stills AF is absolutely top of the line. I have to say, I can't wait to see how good it actually is. Quiet confidence is good, in my book. Panasonic has always been rather understated with their marketing previously, this is looking to be no different. Bring it on :)

17. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Marketing would be very confident that the world was flat if it sold more cameras. :hide:

I am more interested in the 6.5 IBIS stabilization steps. I would really be supprised if they edged out Olympus with stabilization

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    That's the whole thing though. They're not shouting from the rooftops, making huge claims. They look to me as if they're just happy to wait for the camera to get out into the wild, & let the people that are actually using it in the real world find out for themselves. Quite the opposite of your typical marketing spiels from other manufacturers. Time will tell, & I can't wait to see it personally. It certainly goes a long way to explaining the larger size & weight of the G9 if nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I can't count the 10 minutes youtube video reviews that could took 1 or 2 minutes to read if only it was text with the same information.
    It's a lot faster to skip what does not interest you with text... and on a lot of these video you just see a guy talking most of the times...

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    The review on DPR of the hi-res mode is quite useful. It looks like a tool for commercial application, as well as for the hardcore amateur and upwards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1