Panasonic G9 - Quick question

Sootchucker

Mu-43 Veteran
On the G9, when reviewing an image on the rear screen, what "magnification" setting approximates to a 1:1 (i.e. 100% view) ?

On mine I've noticed that up to 4x image playback, the image looks tack sharp, but when I go one more to x8 it starts to look a little pixelated and soft. I'm therefore guessing that a 1:1 view is somewhere between 4x and x8 zoom ?

Is there any way (like on my Nikon bodies and the Olympus EM1X) of punching straight into 100% view ?

Thanks in advanced.

JanW

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jan
Some simple math brings me to approx. 4.7x zoom level.
LCD screen resolution is 1Mpixel. Assuming the display ratio is 2:3 that would give a pixel count of 1224x816.
The G9 has a vertical pixel count of 3888 which gives a magnification of 4.7x for 1:1

Jan

JanW

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jan
I was thinking.... What is 100% view? On the rear display you are still looking at a tiny picture because of the small display with high pixel density. Is it enough to judge sharpness? It's much smaller than 100% view on your computer screen....

Another thing I was thinking about: do you shoot raw only? In that case you could try shooting raw+jpeg. When you review an image you are looking at the small jpeg that is embedded in the raw file, you are not looking at the raw file itself.
If a high resolution jpeg is also stored you will review that file and not the embedded jpeg.
At least, this was the case at previous Panasonic cameras. Don't know if the G9 still works like that but you could try it.

Jan

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom