Panasonic G9: Post Your L.Monochrome D Pictures

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Here is a place to post your L. Monochrome D pictures...
GQR

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Teljam

Mu-43 Regular

Teljam

Mu-43 Regular

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another L Monochrome D image...a grapefruit hanging down from a tree.
GQR

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Mother of Millions plant after a rain...G9 with 12-60/2.8-4.0 lens...
GQR

RasmusM

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rasmus Mattsson
Not a frequent poster but will try to get better, I'll play along with this nice thread :)

RasmusM

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rasmus Mattsson
I love L.Monochrome D. JPG's from the G9 look amazing all together actually.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Wasn't going to post because this is from an X9, but I see others have posted in here. I just started messing with LMD. Interesting. I was surprised to learn that if you shoot in JPEG/RAW the camera saves the RAW color version.

Do you tweak or process yours? They come SOOC camera pretty good, I still like to pull up shadows and play around a bit.
proc 2 by telecast, on Flickr

JMAM

New to Mu-43

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Time for another L Monochrome D image...this time I used a yellow filter.
GQR

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
I was surprised to learn that if you shoot in JPEG/RAW the camera saves the RAW color version.
Technically speaking RAW is neither colour, nor B&W because it's not an image to start with.

RAW is a just a container format for storing voltage readings from 20,4 million photodiodes.
It also tells whether any given photodiode was located under Red, Green or Blue filter and what kind of voltage to expect from darkest to brightest light this photodiode can detect.

All these camera filters are applied only to jpg image that is generated from RAW data which is what you actually get from the sensor.

It's even more annoying to walk around 45 minutes shooting "L.Monochrome" images just to discover that the camera was set to RAW only. Since a small jpg thumbnail is stored in each RAW file for quick browsing a nice B&W image was displayed on camera screen but not recorded on SD card 😬

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't use jpeg's from my camera, but I always shoot RAW + (Jpeg +3 sharpen) so I can see what the quality of the image is. That included jpeg is raw is near worthless. However if you shoot monochrome of any type and forget to set RAW + jpeg, ACR now has matching profiles for camera settings found in settings, browse, camera matching. Do one image, click on all the others and apply previous processing and you have your B&W with whatever profile you selected. Of course this only works if you are a PSCC subscriber.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Technically speaking RAW is neither colour, nor B&W because it's not an image to start with.

RAW is a just a container format for storing voltage readings from 20,4 million photodiodes.
It also tells whether any given photodiode was located under Red, Green or Blue filter and what kind of voltage to expect from darkest to brightest light this photodiode can detect.

All these camera filters are applied only to jpg image that is generated from RAW data which is what you actually get from the sensor.

It's even more annoying to walk around 45 minutes shooting "L.Monochrome" images just to discover that the camera was set to RAW only. Since a small jpg thumbnail is stored in each RAW file for quick browsing a nice B&W image was displayed on camera screen but not recorded on SD card 😬
I understand all of that. So does everyone else here. You knew exactly what I meant, right?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
However if you shoot monochrome of any type and forget to set RAW + jpeg, ACR now has matching profiles for camera settings found in settings, browse, camera matching. Do one image, click on all the others and apply previous processing and you have your B&W with whatever profile you selected. Of course this only works if you are a PSCC subscriber.
I really like the Panasonic artificial B&W film grain which is only generated in body and of course it's only stored as jpg (or in my case not stored at all). It really has this 1970's spy photo look&feel whereas the outcome of most post processing filters is closer to just very high ISO digital noise. (Grain module in Darktable does pretty good job, though)

There is actually an even simpler way to apply these original filters to RW2 files in case only those were recorded. Just upload them back into the SD Card. Panny body can do the processing on a individual RW2 files and (re)generate that jpg file which was never recorded.

Last edited:
I really like the Panasonic artificial B&W film grain which is only generated in body and of course it's only stored as jpg (or in my case not stored at all). It really has this 1970's spy photo look&feel whereas the outcome of most post processing filters is closer to just very high ISO digital noise. (Grain module in Darktable does pretty good job, though)

There is actually an even simpler way to apply these original filters to RW2 files in case only those were recorded. Just upload them back into the SD Card. Panny body can do the processing on a individual RW2 files and (re)generate that jpg file which was never recorded.
Thanks for this info. I've just tried it and it creates new numbered jpgs so you can save multiple versions out from one raw file.

I tried to re-create the film grain using Silkypix 10 Panasonic version and it does not have the same look so it's best done in camera.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for this info. I've just tried it and it creates new numbered jpgs so you can save multiple versions out from one raw file.

I tried to re-create the film grain using Silkypix 10 Panasonic version and it does not have the same look so it's best done in camera.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that additional benefit. You can create several jpg versions out of the original RAW file. In this case make different variants of same RAW files with small, medium and large "film grain" and do possible correction on exposure etc at the same time.

I don't now how the in-body Panasonic artificial grain algorithm works but the grain it creates looks like the real thing. Aka Robert Capa on Omaha Beach or 1970's high ISO spy photo.

Since panny "film grain" is not a profile or camera setting but some kind of SW algorithm which resides in camera FW, I don't believe there's external PC SW which creates this very same effect.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom