Panasonic G9 possibly caused louder whirring noises in a couple of OIS lenses. help

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
So I bought a lightly used G9 (~1100 shutter count) and was setting it up. I initially had my 20mm and 12-35 on it. When I mounted my 35-100i on it I immediately heard this light whirring electronic sound with a very muted beep when you give the camera a light shake. I turned off OIS via the switch on the lens and the sound stopped briefly. But started again and no matter what I do with the OIS switch or any settings I hear the sound.

It gets weirder... I put the lens on my GX8, figuring it was the G9, and the same sound! I used the lens last weekend on the GX8 and it was working perfectly fine.

Then it gets even weirder! I put my 42.5 1.7 on the G9 and similar sound! Wait for it... Put it on my GX8 and the lens is making the same sound.

WTH?!

The G9 firmware is 2.0, and the lenses are all up to date on firmware. I tried to reupload the firmware to the 35-100 lens but nothing happens when because it is the latest firmware.

edit: this is the exact noise: YouTube video (not mine)

edit 2: changed title to not be so dramatic

😥

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
There are a couple of ultrasonic motors used inside the camera and lenses that operate the IBIS system, and even the focusing. If you have good hearing above 15khz it is possible to hear the sound of the motors in operation.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
My brand new 35-100 2.8 II makes exactly the same noise, and so do all of my other lenses since I read this ! I can hear it even when my Laowa is on my camera. I think that the new G9 sensitized you and now you will hear it on each and every camera :) Either that, or that G9 carried some new and very infectious camera virus coming from the far east ! To be honest, all seems normal to me. Like a baby farting...

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
You don't say if the lenses still work and focus?

Remember that those lenses have IS in them, as does the camera. That works by things shifting around when you move. Yes, you may hear a rattle. I've never shook my camera, but I suspect he beep is a warning that you're moving too much for the IS to work. I know it will warn you when settings are too slow to take the photo.

"Hey Doc, it hurts when I go like this."

"Don't go like that!"

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Hey guys I know what this looks like so please try to be helpful and understanding. I agree with all of you guys to a certain extent but please bear with me.

There are a couple of ultrasonic motors used inside the camera and lenses that operate the IBIS system, and even the focusing. If you have good hearing above 15khz it is possible to hear the sound of the motors in operation.
My brand new 35-100 2.8 II makes exactly the same noise, and so do all of my other lenses since I read this ! I can hear it even when my Laowa is on my camera. I think that the new G9 sensitized you and now you will hear it on each and every camera :) Either that, or that G9 carried some new and very infectious camera virus coming from the far east ! To be honest, all seems normal to me. Like a baby farting...

After holding my ear up to the 12-35 and hearing the same sound I agree that the sound is normal and acceptable. What isn't normal, and what is new after attaching it to the G9, is the volume of the sound. I'm 36 and have crappier hearing- this isn't some above 15khz dog whistle. I'm alarmed for a few reasons (bear with me):
  • The difference between it on then off or going into playback mode is noticeable. I'd estimate 4-5x louder than the 12-35 now. To put it into perspective If I sold it to any of you guys, or if you came in from Craigslist to look at it you'd probably be like "ehh thats weird I'll take for a couple hundred off"
  • It is loud enough to be a deal breaker if you shoot video, and to detract from the shooting experience. I've used this lens a lot over the years and I'm quite familiar with it and never noticed it.
  • I'm picking up a 100-400 next week so naturally I'm afraid of my new expensive lens "being infected" :eek:

You don't say if the lenses still work and focus?

Remember that those lenses have IS in them, as does the camera. That works by things shifting around when you move. Yes, you may hear a rattle. I've never shook my camera, but I suspect he beep is a warning that you're moving too much for the IS to work. I know it will warn you when settings are too slow to take the photo.

"Hey Doc, it hurts when I go like this."

"Don't go like that!"
Good question, it was pitch black out so I couldn't test the lenses fully. Yes they still work and focus. "Ruined" maybe dramatic, but still completely valid situation to be concerned. It's not an audible warning beep, it is more like the electronics working and kicking in when there is accelerated movement. I'm not shaking the camera. I meant that in normal movement from normally accepted camera handling when the OIS needs to kick in it gets louder/scratchier sounding.

-----

I understand where you guys are coming from. I guess what I'm looking for is something along the lines of "yes that's normal my [insert lens] is 4-5x louder than my [other similar lens].

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
maybe if you recorded and posted a video so we can hear the sound to decide for ourselves, we'd be able to better help you out
Sorry I'm at work now and don't have time to do it. The video posted above is the same exact noise and I'd suggest wearing headphones cause it's hard to hear in that video. I bet most OIS lenses do have that noise if hold your ear up to one of yours. Now imagine another one of your other OIS lenses has the same sound but you don't have to put your ear up to it or 'try' to hear it in a relatively quite room.

The only logical explanation (besides I'm crazy and its all in my head) I can think of is the differences with OIS 2 on the G9 could've affected the lenses somehow.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
You keep saying it is the lens. Is it actually? Or is the the IBIS of the camera?
Yes the noise is coming directly from the lens. I thought it was the combination of lens + G9, but was surprised when the lens made the same exact noise when it was put back on the GX8 which has different IBIS. And I guess you guys will have to trust me when I say that lens or GX8 has never made that audible of a sound in use.

edit: Also the 12-35 on the G9 or GX8 is silent in comparison.

Last edited:

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
Sorry to be quipping about your issue, I could well identify with your worries. I checked and all my lenses seem to make a comparable sound of about the same low volume. Even the Lumix 25 1.7 and the Laowa, which has no electronic components. So I whipped out my stethoscope to check the source. In all lenses and the GX80 body it sounds about the same, it wheezes a bit louder in the larger tube of the 35-100, softer, but present in the Laowa with its heavier all metal body*. So I think it comes from the IBS an not from the lens really, the larger tube of the 35-100 amplifying the sound. When I press the shutter once**, no kidding, it honks "toot-toooot" like a car ! The GX 80 only has Dual IS version 1. I cannot say that I find the sound loud as you do. Otherwise I cannot say anything sensible further...

I once had the imprudence to let on here that I train dogs professionally, thinking I had something useful to share. In any case that means that I can vow that my camera does not sound like a ultrasound dog whistle :)

I hope all is well and that 100-400 will wheeze healthily as it should. Long and relatively big, it might sound a bit louder...

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Well now I'm curious. When I get home I'm going to mount up the 25, the 50-200 and the 100-400 and see what happens. I don't have a GX, but I do have a G7 and a G9 to compare and see if the 9 is louder, or if any of the lenses are different.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Sorry to be quipping about your issue, I could well identify with your worries. I checked and all my lenses seem to make a comparable sound of about the same low volume. Even the Lumix 25 1.7 and the Laowa, which has no electronic components. So I whipped out my stethoscope to check the source. In all lenses and the GX80 body it sounds about the same, it wheezes a bit louder in the larger tube of the 35-100, softer, but present in the Laowa with its heavier all metal body*. So I think it comes from the IBS an not from the lens really, the larger tube of the 35-100 amplifying the sound. When I press the shutter once**, no kidding, it honks "toot-toooot" like a car ! The GX 80 only has Dual IS version 1. I cannot say that I find the sound loud as you do. Otherwise I cannot say anything sensible further...

I once had the imprudence to let on here that I train dogs professionally, thinking I had something useful to share. In any case that means that I can vow that my camera does not sound like a ultrasound dog whistle :)

I hope all is well and that 100-400 will wheeze healthily as it should. Long and relatively big, it might sound a bit louder...
No worries, I reread my post and the responses were justified. I wasn't very clear. Plus nothing says "I'm taking this seriously" than busting out the stethoscope! I'm curious to what I will hear when I put the lenses on my GM5 (no IBIS) when I get home later?

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
So I put the lens on the GM5 and it still makes the same noise despite not having IBIS. Also, the OIS switch doesn't make a difference. weird.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I checked the 100-400 and 12-60 3.5 on the G7 and G9 and noted no real difference. I get the same stepping motor sound that I expect. The G9 body may have been slightly louder, or it may have been because I was looking for it. I don't hear any whirring noise at all with a shake on either body, with IBIS on, or off. I tried shutting the lens IBIS off on the 100-400 and noted nothing.

Qualifier: I am 61 years old and even though I have excellent hearing for my age I can only hear up to about 13kHz. If the sound is above that it's beyond my ability to hear it.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
.... I don't have a GX, but I do have a G7 and a G9
to compare and see if the 9 is louder, or if any of
the lenses are different.
This should be interesting cuz the G7 has no IS,
so when you mount a non-IS lens there should
be no sounds, and when you hear sounds from
an IS lens you can be sure it really is the lens.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, the normal sound of a IBIS is like a very tiny "sssshhhhhhhhhhh" (sometimes preceded by a faint "click", probably the IBIS getting into position). But you need to put your hear like an inch away from the camera to hear it. (I have a G85).

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
This should be interesting cuz the G7 has no IS,
so when you mount a non-IS lens there should
be no sounds, and when you hear sounds from
an IS lens you can be sure it really is the lens.
That would only apply if the noise were coming from the body, and his complaint is about the lens. In that case it would be even more conclusive. And, if you look at the post above yours, you'll see the results of my test.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok... so I've calmed down. I will concede that it is more than likely that the 35-100 has always been loud for whatever reason. Used it today and in real world usage (not sitting in my dead quiet apartment at 2am) it's not noticeable. Tracing back to it's lineage it was a open box return to amazon years ago so that's a hint, and I'm doubtful the G9 had anything to do with it because the combo took some amazing photos today! :whistling:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom