1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic G9 New Open Box at Samy's for $999

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Hal Knowles, Oct 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    Won't be surprised if it's $999 everywhere by Black Friday.

If they'd just remove the awful 10 minute and 29 minute video recording time limits, they'd definitely sell one to me.

Not holding my breath.

2. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    It’s not a video camera!

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Are there any non-Panasonic cams that don't have video recording limits?

4. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    Lots, but most aren't shaped like DLSRs.

Some of the higher end Canon DSLRs have no limits. Unsure of the new Fuji.

Neither technically is the GH5. Both are hybrid shooters.

The larger point is that G9 seems to have saddled with artificially imposed limitations to its functionality in order to prevent it from competing with other models.

Consumers tend to bristle at artificial limitations. It could be a big reason that G9 sales are apparently so lackluster.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I bought the G9 precisely because it’s a stills oriented camera! Aren’t most modern cameras technically hybrids?
    The GH5 and GH5S are much more video oriented and therefore be more suitable to a person who wants unlimited video. Horses for courses!
    In the U.K. I’m seeing quite a lot of G9s quoted as the camera used, mine I reckon is brilliant but as with all cameras not perfect.

And of course “OpenBox” means second hand! Doesn’ It?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  6. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    Can be a return. Can also be a product that was used for in store demos. Open box tend to carry a full warranty, which in Panasonic's case is 3 years.

As well you should. the G9 IS a stills oriented camera.

Much more of a video person myself. So had they not placed (seemingly) artificial time limits on the video, would probably buy one at this price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    As I said second hand, because someone has used it for whatever purpose, why else would one open the box?

As with most modern cameras firmware updates can radically change how a camera operates!

8. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    True, but usually in mint or near mint condition. If used, only lightly.

Sometimes also a method stores use to get around manufacturer minimum pricing restrictions. Meaning, it's completely new, never used by anyone else, but "open box" to allow them to sell under the required price.

Yes. If only Panasonic would remove the video restrictions in the G9's firmware. Though as you point out, matters not at all for still shooters.

9. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Mint or very lightly used it is still second hand!

Give time and a clamour to alter the firmware maybe it will happen, Panasonic is known for listening to it’s customers!

10. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Numerous sources have pointed out that this is a taxation issue in some parts of the world.

Oddly enough, the G85 had no limits... but that camera had a different model designation in different regions.

I was surprised that Panasonic didn't do the same thing with the G9 as it is NOT an international camera. Go figure... the team in charge of their model naming has been on 'shrooms for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    What makes you say the G9 is not an international camera?

12. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Unlike the GH5, two separate models for NTSC and PAL markets.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, it has a few different names in different jurisdictions, like the G80/G81/G85. I know that certainly it is called the G9 PRO in Japan. Though I guess I don't know if that necessarily entails a different SKU...

14. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    Those G9s are all gone, link goes to GH5S now

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. It'sold.

All is not lost though. Ebay's scientific 'best match' system has come up with an identical deal (well almost).

"Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH5 Digital Camera {BODY ONLY} MINT Condition!"for $1299

A completely different camera, at a 30% higher price - but otherwise, the same.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.