Panasonic G9 Motorsports Shots

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff
I've tried shooting this manner of sport photography, with careful, steady pans and shutter speeds dragged out for blurred spokes and moving backgrounds, and I have to say... you've nailed it. Great work.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What a brilliant post with superb image samples and very informative posts, I have had my G9 for just over a week and as yet not had the opportunity to try it in CAF - I am going to an airshow this weekend so will see how it performs with the 100-400 ( I am taking the D500 just in case).
I agree with all your comments Rob on handling, it is a lovely camera to hold and use so I hope I can get it to deliver some good images of the aircraft.
Thank you Rob and all other contributors for a very informative and valuable G9 post:bravo-009:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
What a brilliant post with superb image samples and very informative posts, I have had my G9 for just over a week and as yet not had the opportunity to try it in CAF - I am going to an airshow this weekend so will see how it performs with the 100-400 ( I am taking the D500 just in case).
I agree with all your comments Rob on handling, it is a lovely camera to hold and use so I hope I can get it to deliver some good images of the aircraft.
Thank you Rob and all other contributors for a very informative and valuable G9 post:bravo-009:
Cheers Lansky - looking forward to some air show shots. Although I’ve never photographed them I’ve always been into aircraft and went to Farnborough a few years ago. I’ll never forget seeing the military jets (F18s ? Etc) doing vertical climbs - had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up big time and it was the year that they were doing manoeuvres with the new at the time Airbus A380 - awesome stuff - must go again one day !
Regards
Rob

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I haven’t populated this thread much lately but will be going along to another Speedway meeting tonight with the G9 which will be in very good light (but possibly affected by high dust levels)
Hoping to get some more shots with the G9 which I will be continuing with despite leaning towards the EM1/2 for the faster (100 mph plus) Road Racing Motorcycle events
All of these were shot with the G9
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85846444@N02/shares/Ek632j

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for sharing your experience with the G9 for motorsport applications. Looking at your latest set on Flickr, you have images with multiple riders. What AF setting did you use? Are you using the back button AF? You don't seem to have any problem keeping focus on your subject (presumably the rider nearest to you).

I am seriously interested in the G9 PL100-400 combo to replace my EOS40D and 100-400L. However, I am on the fence as I continue to read about AF tracking still not being up to DSLR standards.

On my 40D, I usually select single AF mode set to whichever AF point I want the subject to appear within the frame, and use CAF in combination with the back button AF. Although my gear is somewhat ancient, I have no problem locking on the target, then tracking the subject continuously by keeping the back AF button pressed, triggering the shutter at the right moment.

Here's an example of what I can get with my 40D, as I start the AF tracking of the car as soon as it rounds the corner, and heads diagonally towards me. Taken at 1/160' at f/11.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Under this type of condition, would the G9 AF lose track of the subject or jump focus onto the car behind?

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
I don't have a G9 + 100-400mm, but I have the G80/85 and the 100-300mm Mk2, and I used to own the 40D with a selection of L tele lenses. In my opinion, the Panasonic kit gives faster lock-on and a better keeper rate than the Canon kit did. Here are a couple with that Panasonic setup that I posted elsewhere:

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't have a G9 + 100-400mm, but I have the G80/85 and the 100-300mm Mk2, and I used to own the 40D with a selection of L tele lenses. In my opinion, the Panasonic kit gives faster lock-on and a better keeper rate than the Canon kit did.
Thank you for the feedback. I can imagine the latest cameras will have a faster AF speed, which is what I think you mean by faster lock-on. My GX7 also seems quicker to AF and capture than either my 40D or 5D.

Have you tried your kit in AF tracking mode at slow shutter speeds, such as during a panned shot, which I understand from the few posts I've seen is what has proved challenging to the contrast detect AF system used by Panasonic.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have you tried your kit in AF tracking mode at slow shutter speeds, such as during a panned shot, which I understand from the few posts I've seen is what has proved challenging to the contrast detect AF system used by Panasonic.
I have, at shorter focal lengths, but larger aperture. I had a 550D, it was pretty good using center point, but my G9 simply smashes that out of the park.

staunch 2 by speedygz, on Flickr

white stang by speedygz, on Flickr

Check out the bonnet/carby scoop & windscreen stickers
green woody by speedygz, on Flickr

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have, at shorter focal lengths, but larger aperture. I had a 550D, it was pretty good using center point, but my G9 simply smashes that out of the park.
I see you shot the last one at 1/60", and the AF on those window stickers were spot on. Did you use single center focus point, or leave it to the camera to determine what areas to focus on? Also, was this using continuous AF mode?

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yep, AFC, with a resized central diamond pattern. Just single shot no burst shooting, & the camera just nailed it every single time I compared my 550D with a mates 7D, using centre point only, and the 550D was much of a muchness in servo AF. My GX8 was better than the 550D, the G9 better again than the GX8. Where the G9 gets the criticism, I think, is from bird shooters who want tracking to pick out a tiny little subject in the distance, against a distracting background and stick to it like glue. That is not my subject matter if you size the focusing area appropriately, give it something decent to work with, the camera simply nails it. I've got a few shots with my GX8 with the 25mm f/1.4 again, of remote control cars doing jumps at speed, that I honestly don't think I'd get with the Canons I've used.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Let's not forget that the 550D/T2i is a camera that is 8 years old. Technology has come a long way in 8 years, and a more fair comparison would be against a 7D2 or 80D, as they're the current top APS-C cameras from Canon.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Of the Canons? None of them. I do have a D500 that I regularly shoot with, and have compared against my E-M1 II (here's a link to my write-up)

The point I was trying to make was that comparing a 6 month older camera with the latest & greatest technology to an 8 year old camera, one would certainly expect that the newer camera would deliver better AF performance. To get a real idea of how good the AF is, it makes sense to compare it to newer, more comparable cameras (like what I did in the link above).

I will say that the images you posted above aren't bad, but speeds of cars leaving a car show are hardly a strenuous test of a camera's C-AF abilities. To really get a better idea of just how good/bad the camera performs, the subject needs to make the C-AF work a little harder (i.e. like what Rob has shared in this thread).

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The point I was trying to make was
LOL. You're an expert at banging on about other people changing the subject in various threads, yet are quite adept at doing the same yourself. The poster I was replying to, was interested in how the G9 compared to his set up. I replied with personal experience - you want to turn it into a p!ssing competition. Go your hardest. Irony hey :)

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Where the G9 gets the criticism, I think, is from bird shooters who want tracking to pick out a tiny little subject in the distance, against a distracting background and stick to it like glue.
One of the reviewers at DPReview shot the G9 at a basketball game. His comment seems to suggest that focus lock is a challenge even with large subjects, so this worries me:

"All the other AF area modes resulted in a hit rate significantly lower than I’ve come to expect from a flagship stills camera. For instance, on several occasions while using single area or zone modes, a player would be driving down the court with no one around them and the camera failed entirely to lock focus."

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
LOL. You're an expert at banging on about other people changing the subject in various threads, yet are quite adept at doing the same yourself. The poster I was replying to, was interested in how the G9 compared to his set up. I replied with personal experience - you want to turn it into a p!ssing competition. Go your hardest. Irony hey :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom