1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic G9 Motorsports Shots

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Shots with G9 (bought today) and Olympus 40-150 F2.8 taken this evening
    Due to this being an evening event the light is still quite subdued by the time the event commences at 19.00 and is floodlit as it progresses
    Finding that processing the jpegs is very different to those from the EM1/2
    Further trial and error required with processing and Settings on the G9
    Hard to tell how well the G9 will perform overall until I get an event with better daytime light
    Comments of any kind welcomed
    Regards
    Rob
    41008240214_11de8c8c36_h.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    P1010104 2 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

41685395162_2b0b16c2b8_h.jpg
    P1010048 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

26857459967_fca6340544_h.jpg
    P1010030 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

41685051152_6a44f0934c_h.jpg
    P1010024 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

41684939772_cddec58123_h.jpg
    P1010020 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

27856333958_29cd7bf9e7_h.jpg
    P1010010 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

40826167085_c79d307d5f_h.jpg
    P1010008 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

39917512030_a992c57730_h.jpg
    P1010040 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

41724817551_938c4e208e_h.jpg
    P1010028 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

26856742607_24abc90bf8_h.jpg
    P1010165 by RobbieeRobstar63, on Flickr

• Like Like x 19
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The second to last one is awesome Rob.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Thanks Ian but it's a bit soft around the rider's helmet which lets it down when you zoom in
    Regards
    Rob

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Looking at it on my computer rather than my phone I see what you mean, but it’s still a good shot. Has a vey “Mad Max” feel about it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    1st, 3rd and second from end are awesome. Great composition, and the decisive moment indeed.

6. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    These are great Rob. I shot an event last weekend that I must get around to sharing. I found the G9 did ok with C-AF. It was night and day better than my GX8, but not 'blow your socks off' good. It's still the best all round camera that I've ever used though.

Simon.

7. Mikehit

Mikehit Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2018
    Great shots, Rob. I love the second from last for the almost perfect composition, but a shame about the softness. The one before it is great because you can really see the concentration in his eyes.
    What focussing setting were you using? Were you pre-focussing and then tracking or tracking from well back and waiting for the moment.

8. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Many thanks for the kind comments Bassman
    Regards
    Rob

9. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Many Thanks Ian
    After a wet start to the speedway season it was very dry yesterday with lots of dust flying which always makes the event and pictures more dynamic !

10. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Mikehit
    Many thanks for the kind comments
    I'm used to using an EM1/2 and completely alien to using the G9 and Panasonic in general for this type of capture so was 'flying by the seat of my pants'
    I didn't have the luxury of down time to check and adjust settings as the heats are run in prompt succession due to time limitations arising from licensing of the event to avoid complaints from local residents
    Although it's difficult to tell due to the low light at the evening event the things I noted re the G9 were:-
    1. It felt very good in the hand - I'm 6'6" tall with hands to match and although the EM1/2 is great - this is better in my hands much nicer grip
    2. Regardless of results the camera felt nicer to use and more 'modern'
    3. Shutter release has been criticised for being too soft - I was half way through the evening before I even remembered that this was a potential issue so no this was not an issue - nicely soft - albeit that I did trigger it accidentally on one occasion - I tend to perch and arch my trigger finger over the casing around the release button which gives greater control over the release
    4. Very soft mechanical shutter used on all shots with M (medium) burst
    (I couldn't see how to adjust the actual FPS within the L and M basic settings ?)
    Shutter actuation is very muted and soft - to the point that I had to check I wasn't using E Shutter by mistake !
    5. All shots were using CAF (no tracking - or I don't think this was set unless it's a default) and the best performance from my limited time last night were using setting 2 with some experimenting with 1 and 4
    CAF seemed to work very well although many shots looked very slightly less sharp than when the EM1/2 'hits the spot' - inconclusive at this time.
    Focus points were dancing around the selected pattern very quickly indicating that the system was engaging quickly and reacting constantly to the image developing within the target areas (large custom diamond and horizontal custom areas - did not try single point - but must do next time to see if results are better - was looking forward to using the Panasonic custom focus target options as they are far more versatile than the limited outdated options on the EM1/2
    Hit rate for good enough to use focus success seemed to be higher than the EM1/2 but absolute sharpness from the best hits seems to be better on the EM/1/2 at this time - very much subject to further use, further experience with the G9 and better light
    6. Internal IS was left on default throughout - I don't think this affected the pictures or hit rate but will try without next time
    7. Didnt use the Top Screen last night which I do think is a bonus and worthwhile feature but feel that I will use it it when more used to the camera and not tied up with looking at basic settings
    8. Love the toggle for focus points - you can move the custom pattern slightly when you want to concentrate your target on one side of the picture for instance the speedway riders tend to be pushing out to the left side of the track from my main vantage point and it was easy to move the target cluster to one side for a couple of shots and to recenter it you just push the toggle in - so easy !
    9. EVF - Superb ! Large and very bright
    There is the issue of slight pincushion distortion which curves the outside edges of the screen view - testing this within a demo situation was an apparent issue for me - but like the reported over soft shutter actuation issue I did not think about the pincushion issue until about half way through the evening when I thought about things that people had questioned - needless to say I had not noticed this at all in actual use and did not affect the use of the camera at all !
    10. Low light performance - slightly but noticeably better than the EM1/2 - at a point during the increasingly failing light during the event I found myself continuing to shoot at a point where I know I'd have totally given up even trying with the EM1/2 - shots at 32000 were still not good enough to use in this situation but we're noticeably less 'mushy' and the EVF image was considerably better than that if the EM1/2 in the failing light !
    Please feel free to ask questions
    Due to my limited 'technical' photography knowledge I don't want to delve into the realms of formal structured comparative testing but probably will do a very basic comparative test next week using both the G9 and the EM1/2 with the same lenses at the same event in similar light conditions to see how they compare as it is very difficult to say how they would have differed last night
    From my experience last night the G9 for me is a more pleasant camera to use but the optimal end results are perhaps the 'be all and end all' for me as ultimate critical sharpness is an absolute requirement for me personally
    (that requirement is hard wired into my brain and is the thing that I enjoy seeing in my photos of fast moving Motorsports - like @ijm5012@ijm5012 i like to see the fine print on the sponsors logos and sharp detailed edges around helmets and within eyes if I'm lucky enough to capture them)
    Still early days !
    Report In progress

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Turns out from reading the online advanced manual that the L (low) burst setting is fixed at 2 fps which is too low for general use imo and 7 fps in M (medium) which is faster than ideal for me
    I usually like to use 3-4 fps which is a good balance between capturing a moment and not filling up your card (and unnecessarily increasing your shutter count)
    Find it hard to believe that Panasonic didn't give us the option to adjust the fps settings within L, M and H (as is the case on the Olympus EM1/2 !

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    G9 with Olympus 300 f4.0 @ f4.0 1/200th ISO 400
    40076486970_3d9d3a5e07_o.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  13. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    SOOC jpegs G9 Olympus 40-150 f2.8 PRO
    IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  14. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    IMG_4023.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  15. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    41830828642_e4562a0498_o.jpg
    More from G9 - Panasonic can do Motorsports !
    28004522458_18b391a889_o.jpg
    41830648112_bc52faedc0_o.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Panasonic G9 Olympus 40-150 f2.8 PRO @ 115mm f3.2 1/250th ISO 200 CAF Setting 2 7 fps sequence - note that the large aperture (f3.2) causes narrow depth of field - seems to be pretty good for CDAF
    IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4020.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4022.JPG
    IMG_4023.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  17. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Another G9 sequence - again 7fps
    IMG_3990.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3992.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3994.JPG
    IMG_3995.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  18. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    And one more G9 sequence at 7fps
    IMG_4028.JPG
    IMG_4029.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4031.JPG
    IMG_4032.JPG

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Agree with this Rob! This is one of my biggest complaints with the G9, why can't the user set the speeds for (at least) the Medium range to something that is a medium speed, like 3, 4 or 5 frames per second? Why go from 2 to 7, what numbskull thought of that? Another issue, that hopefully might be able to be fixed in a firmware update, is that the face/eye detect is way to easy to jump off the eye to full body detect. Drives me nuts as I shoot a lot of portraits and lifestyle sets where the subjects are not always stationary. If they turn their head just a bit the G9 goes into full body detect mode and because I shoot with the fastest M4/3 primes wide open, the focus is lost because of the small dof. Both my EM1's (original) have better face detect than the G9. I have just given up on G9 face detect and use the smaller single point with the magnify function now.

The last big issue for me is while my Olympus 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens is just great on the G9 by itself, as your wonderfully sharp photos above show, if I add my Olympus MC-14 teleconverter to the mix the results become dismal. 90% of the photos become just a bit out of focus, even on still subjects. The combo is great on my EM1's, so it is specific to the G9. I discussed this in a thread about shooting my new G9 against my EM1's and my D500 here, G9 with birds but have never had anyone else confirm my issue. Have you shot the G9 with the 40-150 F2.8 and the MC-14 together?

Overall I really like the G9, but these 3 issues are, for me, a big pita that definitely detract from the camera.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Specfoto

Funnily enough I attached the MC14 to my 40-150 earlier on in preparation for tonight’s Speedway event (if I manage to make it ?) with the intention of trying it out
    1. Because the jump in focal length between the 40-150 - and the 300f4 is considerable and a halfway house with the MC14 attached would be a good compromise for some scenarios and
    2. Because I’ve read that results with the MC14 attached render poor results on the G9
    If 8 do make it tonight I’ll let you know - however if there is any doubt about the combo working I’m likely to stop using it almost straight away as there are a limited number of events each season and don’t want to miss good potential shots by persevering with something that doesn’t work
    I’ve decided not to take both the EM1/2 and the G9 as swapping around doesn’t work for me
    I will probably take both when I go to the Thruxton round of BTCC on Sunday (again hopefully) to see how the 2 fare comparatively
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.