Panasonic G9 launched

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pdk42, Nov 8, 2017.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Hmm dunno, I don't really feel this camera is much more photo centric than GH5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    The problem is that the GH5 can be picked up for less right now, whilst the promise was that the new camera would be cheaper than the GH5. There are no killer "must have" features on the G9 that I need right now or for my type of shooting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Biro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If one already had the GH5, it would be silly to go for the G9. But if one is more stills-oriented, then this would be the one to get out of the two. And the price will drop before too long. But where can you pick up a brand-new GH5 for less than the G9 launch price right now? Grey market doesn't count.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Looks like same size as GH5 which is just too big for me. Otherwise, hard to really differentiate from E-M1ii. Bit cheaper mind.

As to DPR comments - I dip into there from time to time but it's just like the wild west!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Biro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    A lot of fanbois and plants from the competition. Plus others for whom English is clearly not a first language. Or perhaps their communications skills have been hobbled by the digital/Internet age. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Well it didn't take long... I have my 1st offer in from my regular Panasonic dealer to come and play with the G9, get free battery grip, £100 extra trade in discount on any old Panasonic camera in exchange, etc. etc. Tempting...

9. magIBIS

magIBIS Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    erm... What's wrong with that? It's a global site. I'm thankful it's in English, but any language I speak would be ok - they are all a minority communication systems. I don't defend the tone though - but yeah, not every place can be so polite and open to anybody without prejudices like mu-43.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Biro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Nothing wrong with that other than many aren't clear about what they're trying to say. You've seen it yourself... a lot of arguments through misunderstanding occur on that site. Most are still trolls and fanbois, though.

We're a global site, too, and we have members whose first language isn't English. Yet we almost never get into those arguments here. That's why I also held out the possibility that technology-adled people may be a factor.

Perhaps we're just a more-genteel crowd. But, because we're moderated, real troublemakers are called out and, when necessary, kicked out. One almost never sees that on DPR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fader

fader Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    Moving my color commentary out of the GX9 thread. There was a a good hour long video posted in the other thread with a Panasonic product manager:

I still haven't had time to watch it, but the title caught my eye: "Panasonic G9 and the Big Bet: Ergonomics vs. Electronics?"

12. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    It looks interesting for a lot of its features... and then there is that older gen USB port instead of type-C... surely there is a good reason for that...

13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    One thing I noticed missing from the G9 and yes, I know how unlikely it matters at all, is the power pin on the hotshoe, meaning that it can not power the external flash that requires power from the camera body, for example the FL70 flash that can be used with LX100, GM5, GX85, etc.

I have no idea though if Panasonic supports such entry level flash unit with their "serious" cameras like the GH5 or GX8.

I do use that flash with my GX85 to trigger TTL slave flashes as Panasonic canceled the ability as a TTL commander with the onboard flash on the GX85, I'm sure that will not be the case with their high end bodies; plus I also use a Canon version cord that contains all five pins to connect the FL70, works better than with the FL360L in some situations.

14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Hi-Res photo mode, improved AF-C sampling (480hz vs 240hz on GH5), 6.5 stop IBIS, Top-plate LCD for checking settings on the fly, 20fps no-blackout shooting, improved high ISO performance and JPEG output.

Honestly, what the hell do you want in a photo-oriented camera? I swear, some people just love to complain...

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Does this mean that it can't use the little flash that's included with the latest Olympus cameras? I love that little flash as a trigger for off-camera flashes, but it draws its power off of the in-camera battery.

16. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Yep, no, you can't. Somehow Panasonic remembers to cut small features like power pin, ttl commander capabilities.

Funny Panasonic thinks "whoever buys this camera can do better than shitty flashes."

17. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    For my usage I don't think it's better than GH5 in photography.

18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    A couple things from my perspective:
    • I'm interested in this camera and how it performs relative to the E-M1 II. I could be convinced to make the switch, depending on how certain areas perform.
    • The camera looks better in hands-on images than in the computer-generated press images.
    • Ergonomics look fantastic. A nice, large grip and solid thumb support around back. But will RRS create a proper base/L-plate (one the runs around the entire bottom of the camera, rather than just stopping at the battery door like the GH5)?
    • The viewfinder sounds amazing. Definitely an attractor for me.
    • I'm interested to see how AF-C performs, particularly against the E-M1 II.
    • I'm interested to see how the hi-res mode performs, particularly against the E-M1 II.
    • 4K 60fps and 1080p 180fps are VERY nice video features. Definitely an attractor for me.
    There are things I like about Panasonic cameras relative to Olympus, and there are things that I like about Olympus relative to Panasonic (although with excellent IBIS and hi-res mode, that list is shrinking). The biggest draw of Olympus cameras for me are their "Live" modes (specifically live Live Comp and Live Bulb). Whether this is enough to have me keep my E-M1 II over the G9 with its better video and EVF will have to seen, but I'm definitely looking forward to in-depth reviews of the G9.

19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You keep saying this, but you don't list what your needs are. Without doing so, you just sound like a troll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I watch an interview with a Panasonic guy on YouTube this morning. He said, contrary to the specs, that 4k60p was capped at 10 minutes, and all other modes at 30 minutes. There are no caps on the G85.

He also said 12bit compressed raw, which would lead one to believe they haven't made any strides with dynamic range.

I dunno... it's twice the price of the G85; not sure it's worth it for M43.