1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic G9 for $1097.99 - Focus Camera: Trade In Camera/Lens value + $400 off

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by LilSebastian, Aug 13, 2018.

1. robfilms

robfilms Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 28, 2017
    metro nyc
    i'm wondering if anyone has seen a g9 for less than $1098?

and if so, where?

thanks for adding to the conversation.

thumbs up.

rob

2. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I plugged in trade value on my E-M10 II. With the deal I could basically trade it away and get a G9 for $918. I had to hide my credit card from myself.

Greg.

3. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hello,

I’ve been following this discussion on the G9 sale and thought I'd write to mention that I bought one from Cameta Camera in NY yesterday. The deal runs through September 8. My trade was a Canon SL1 and five lenses, the kit lens, the 24 and 40 pancakes, the 85mm, and a Sigma 50mm 1.4. I did the trade in since I knew I wouldn't be using the SL1 or lenses, lacking IS, and was offered a $595 trade-in, which seemed pretty fair. The phone quote was fully honored after the gear arrived, resulting in a $504.99 price for the G9, an accessory package including a 128 SD card, a second battery, and stuff I probably won't use, shipped with two-day delivery. For any members who might be interested, here's the link to Cameta:

Panasonic Promotions

I hope this interests some of you and answers some of the questions raised here.

Robert

I should emphasize that I phoned Cameta first, having purchased my E-M1 from them in 2013, and was referred to Eric in the Used Department
    who asked me to describe my trade-in and gave me a price, as I indicated above. There is an option to fill out a form, but I prefer the personal contact and was pleased again by the courteous and helpful customer relations and competitive pricing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2017
    Was 128GB card the same Sony G UHS-II card from the other promotion?

5. rjl1246

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hi,

Here is the info from the Cameta website for the SD card: SanDisk Extreme 128GB SDXC UHS-I U3 Class 10 90MB/s Memory Card.

I hope this is helpful. I see that it's a UHS-1, not II, so that might be worth noting. The whole accessory package only added two dollars to the camera price, so I figured the card and battery more than justified it. A small case, tripod, flash, and other items are included as well.

Robert

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    I got my G9 from Focus today. I filled out the trade-in form for my em10.2 with 14-42 lens Monday evening, and was called the next morning to go over everything. They told me I would get 70% of used value which is $400-450 depending on condition (I paid $450 through B&H not long ago). I was also emailed the return label for my camera. I purchased the camera that same day, Tuesday, I shipped my camera to them yesterday, and today I have received the G9. The memory card I got is the Sony 128GB SDXC UHS-II selling for $215 on Amazon, along with a very small camera bag. I will report back once they receive my camera.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'll be curious to see if they try and pull the same thing on you as they did with me...

I was quoted 70% of $650 on my G85 (depending on condition). What I sent them was like new in box with everything as supplied as new - literally not a single sign of usage. They had the camera for three days and I heard nothing. After sending them an email yesterday I got a call a little later offering $300. When I said I was told $455, she went on to explain the resale value of the G85 had gone down since they quoted me a week ago. That's 34% in one week!!!

• Wow Wow x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  8. rjl1246

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hi,
    My G9 arrived today by second day Fedex. The battery's charging right now, but I like the looks and feel of the camera
    itself, even without a lens attached. Here's hoping for some great pics with it. I wish the same to the other members who
    have placed their orders or are a bit further along than I am with earlier deliveries.

Robert

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ScottinPollock

Turns out I was lied to by Focus Camera. The value didn't go down at all... in fact, it looks like the camera I sent them is now on their used site for $699.95!!!

They refuse to make it right, details at Focus Camera

Pass it on.

10. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Hmm ... tempting to trade in my GX85 as I really want to upgrade to the GX9

Can you please post a link? I only see the G9 for $1499 at BHP.

11. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    Yeah Focus are scam artists. After telling me they would give me 70% of $400-450, they tried offering me $180 for my camera w/lens (the "value dropped") that I just bought from B&H for $450 about 2 months prior. They also took a month to appraise my camera. I sent a nasty email response calling out their scam with screen shots of the used prices currently, and threatening to go on a social media campaign against them. They offered me an extra $50 for my camera, which I took. I still made out overall with $630 off the G9 from my $450 camera.

Focus definitely deserves to have this scam blasted all over the internet. They are a subpar shady operation.

12. ScottinPollock

Well... they have stepped up and done right by me.

I was just recently contacted by the manager of Focus Camera customer service regarding my posting of this experience on Yelp. She has apologized for my experience with their company and has issued me a refund of $150.00 ($70 more than their initial valuation).

She also remarked that there would be some "conversations" with upper-management of the Used Department so this kind of thing will not happen going forward.

I had planned to also send a certified letter to the CEO of Focus Camera recanting my first experience with their company. Would that have received the same result as the Yelp review? Possibly... I know I have achieved similar results in the past.

It's unfortunate that corporate America hasn't learned from Jeff Bezos about empowering the people in the trenches to look after the customer, and that this kind of escalation is all too often required.

In any event, I wanted you all to know that my escalation of this issue has resulted in Focus Camera doing more than what was right in the end.

@Jay_M@Jay_M PM me and I will give you her email. Hopefully she can address your issue as well.

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.