1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic G9 - does LR 6 standalone recognise it's RAW files

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcgillro, Feb 11, 2019.

1. mcgillro

mcgillro Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    Hi
    Im going to buy a Panasonic G9 in the next few days. Can anyone tell me whether the standalone Lightroom (maybe 6.7) will recognise the RAW files?

Many thanks

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Shaw

Shaw Mu-43 Regular

Yes, it does, with ACR 10.1 installed

3. mcgillro

mcgillro Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    Thanks will check re ACR.

4. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I obviously don’t know what type of computer you use but Mac OS recognises both raw and jpeg files, can’t speak for PCs though!

5. mcgillro

mcgillro Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    Sorry , should have said . Win 10 something. Have updated ACR so now just need to get hands on the camera and see what happens.

Thanks

6. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    I just went through this on my PC. Windows 10 won't natively open Panasonic RW2 files, without the right codec installed.

This is not a problem if using LR or ACDSee or something, as the RAW opens within the program. But if you want to see thumbnails in Explorer, or use the "Open File" in say, Affinity Pro, you need the codec installed. However, MS hasn't issued a camera codec pack for Windows since 2013, and that one won't install on Win 10.

I ended up buying this codec pack: FastPictureViewer Imaging Products for $10. That solved the issue.

It wasn't until I starting using Affinity Pro that I discovered this. Used LR for years and never noticed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Many review outlets often have RAW files available for download.

8. morphodone

morphodone Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Texas
    Kyle
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcgillro

mcgillro Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    Thanks everyone. I am not bothered about being able to see them in Explorer, so long as they open in Lightroom, as I wouldn't want to have to learn a new conversion programme. I know there's the dng converter but I feel that there's a loss of detail using that.

10. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Sounds good.
    But just to clarify, for anyone that reads this down the road, the $10 FastPictureViewer software I mentioned above is not a conversion program. It is just a codec pack that allows windows to show Panasonic RW2 files. After installation you never open it again.
    But yes, if you don't need it, don't spend the money.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. mcgillro

mcgillro Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    Thanks - LR did recogise them but gave no profile - said "built in".

12. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Are you referring to the Lens Corrections panel? This is normal for Micro Four Thirds cameras using native lenses - Lightroom follows the instructions in the raw file.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mcgillro

mcgillro Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    OK - yes I was referring to that, and didn't understand why there was no profile. Interesting ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.