1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic G9 - Different Versions?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Darcy M, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    I recall and youtube video by The Camera Store that mentioned there would be 2 versions of the G9, one for North America video and one for the rest of the globe. But I cannot find any evidence to back that up.

Does anyone know the truth to that?

2. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Sound legit though, NTSC/PAL versions I would guess.

3. Darcy M

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    Would that only affect HDMI out?

4. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    video recording formats. Usually you have to step up to the GH line to get support for both.

5. Darcy M

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    Ok, but I thought the NTSC/PAL thing was in the analog past and digital is digital. Sorry for being so daft. I don't do much video.

6. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I think that is it as they said unlike the GH5 the video will be region specific

7. I emailed Camerapro here about it last month, and they said that at least for the .au market there are no restrictions on video frame rate:

yXWbOXL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    it's a broadcast standards thing, so most likely it will never go away.

Usually in a NTSC region you will get 30p and 60p recording options. In a PAL region you will get 25p and 50p. You can "jail break" the camera to switch between the two (as its really just a software setting), but as you would expect this voids the warranty. This is one of the reasons people warn about grey market cameras.

9. Darcy M

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    hmm, when I used to edit videos (5 or more years ago), I could blend mixed fps into a standard. I assume that is still possible.

I guess I shoot so little video, as long as it plays on a computer or I can create an edited video with it, I don't really care.

10. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Yea, that's still possible.

Your computer doesn't care, nor does most of the streaming providers, Your local tv station on the other hand, will be supper nitpicky about it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    But for viewing on LCD monitor you want to have 25fps. PAL settings though is 23.9fps and that can be jizzy in some moving scenes. I have a GX80/85 that is like that. It is set for european market and thus 23.9fps and you have to live with that if you don't hack your camera and void the warranry. Guess G9 is similar.

12. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2017
    I'm skeptical that anyone could reliably differentiate between 23.9 fps and 25 fps.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.