1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic G9 bluetooth acting strangely - can't use

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave A., Mar 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM.

1. Dave A.

Dave A. New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2017
    I like to consider myself pretty adept at most camera systems, and technology in general.

However, I paired my G9 to my phone. My phone saw it. Cool. So then I exited the screen on the Panasonic that showed the camera name, and went back to the main screen. No option for shutter remote control.

Um, ok. Clicked on Bluetooth on the app, and it asked me to pair again. Checked the camera. Said that they needed to be paired.

Ok. So I pair again. Phone app says they're paired. Cool, again. Check the camera, not paired.

What the heck am I doing wrong?? :) 

2. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    You have to go into the custom menu, and check that the Bluetooth is actually turned on.
    Then, go to the WiFi button, which the G9 thankfully has a shortcut to on the rear screen swipe menu. A list of devices will pop up, in the app, (on your phone) you may have to hit the refresh button to see your camera, choose your camera, done. I'm not sure if you need WiFi turned on on your phone, I'm currently laying on a hospital bed, and run out of batteries to experiment further. It then works a treat :) 
    I just did this yesterday

3. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    As it turns out, you do. I'm far far far away from being any sort of expert in theses matters, but from what I can see, your camera uses a low power Bluetooth connection, to make & then transfer data over a direct to camera WiFi connection. As you've noted, you have to pair the camera & phone first using Bluetooth. Then set up a direct WiFi connection. It's a LOT easier than the instructions try to make out. You can set up a password protected connection, use a QR code, or let the camera do it automatically. When you first hit the WiFi button on the rear slide screen tab to start the WiFi scan/connection, if you hit the display button, up pops 3 different options for the connection. It's way way harder to describe, than actually do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.