1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic G9 Amazon warehouse 20% off

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkbslc, Nov 19, 2018.

1. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Hope it works out well for you. Mine was in the original box with the interior support intact, and that box was inside a much larger box that was filled with paper, so I guess mine was pretty well packed for shipping. I didn't get the strap either :) 

2. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    I've always had great experiences with adorama, and their customer service did not let me down.

The paper padding the inside of the larger box was lacking and the original box was free to bang about. The body had apparently been placed in some bubble wrap, but they didn't secure the wrap with tape, so it obviously did not stay wrapped and was also free to bang about the with the charger, battery, etc. Amazon gave me a token credit for my troubles but further testing is in order.

3. drknaim

drknaim Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2018
    I got one from an EU based warehouse and it was in quite good condition... only 4xx shotcount. Appears to be working nicely. I updated the firmware as well and will try to take it out on the weekend ^^

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  4. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    My shutter count is 139. Considering I have 123 photos on my sd card, and that I know I deleted some, my guess is that the mechanical shutter mechanism is essentially new. Though the camera did come with the mode dial set to creative movie mode and the battery was completely drained, this does appear promising.

On to further experimentation. Hope everyone else is enjoying their new camera so far.

5. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Going out today to the Dallas Arboretum where there is a fantastic Nativity collection and the 12 Days of Christmas at night which is some magical photo ops. I've read the book, seen the videos, I think I'm ready for a day out with the G9. :)  I'm loving the feel and handling of the camera. The EVF is blowing me away, I thought the E-M5 II was pretty good, it pales in comparison. I'm not seeing any significant quality differences between the 16MP bodies I have and the G9, didn't really expect much there. A little more cropping room is nice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm considering that camera as an alternative to the EM-1 Mark II, although I wish it had phase detect AF.

7. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    Looks like a few of us recently picked up g9s. What lenses are you planning to use with your new camera? I'm struggling with picking out a travel kit because I want it to be both lightweight as well as super high quality because that's when I shoot most.

8. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    A travel kit depends entirely on your shooting style and the subject you like to shoot while traveling. Landscapes? Panoramas? Street? Reportage style? Portraiture? Family? All of the above?

Generally for travel I have two kits. First is a very portable 3 lens kit (12-32, 20/1.7, 42.5/1.7) or I’ll take a more robust kit (8-18, 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, 20/1.7, 42.5/1.7, rode videomicro, v350-o) and will add in a gorillapod for light travel or if planning to do more serious landscape work will take a full tripod, pano-gimbal, and set of Lee seven5 filters.

9. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    Perhaps travel is a misnomer; vacation is likely more accurate. I'd say landscapes, city scapes, food, semi macro, and family portraits are priority. I have to carry baby gear (and possibly baby) so the kit should be both light and minimize lens swaps. So it may seem strange for some of you, but I've decided not to compromise on the body in lieu of lenses because my personal priorities were to have a fast responding body with IS and manual zooming lenses.

Is it strange that my front runner for general purpose lens is the p12-60 kit lens? I've slapped my 12-40 on the g9 to get a feel for how the pl version would feel, and I also slapped a 100-300 on to get a feel for how the 12-100 would feel, and they were on the heavy side for long days on my feet, for me. I thought about the 14-140 as well but confirmed last night through my photo catalog that I shoot at 12(24)mm a lot.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  10. drknaim

drknaim Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2018
    I have ordered the PL12-60 as well now and will probably swap it against the O12-40 to use it as my everyday lens, since I really like the Dual IS 2 I get with the 14-140. My "problem" is that I have to decide on which lenses to keep in general first... ;)  Since my funds were a bit low lately (for obvious reasons), I ordered quite a few bodies and lenses in the last few weeks to e.g. sell off the body and keep the lens, etc. ... After the "consolidation process", I will re-evaluate what my best options are. I expect to keep the P14-140 and PL12-60, PL15, O45 (although I might read about the benefits of having the P42.5)... ;D

11. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    Yes, the dual IS on the p12-60 is nice to have and can give me some keepers at 3-4 stops once in a while. And with the baby, the close focusing of the p42. 5 is in the back of my mind, as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    Fwiw, I plan to do an informal real world comparison between the p12-60 and PL12-60. If I have time and I don't sell it before I get to it, I will throw the 12-40 into the mix.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    I could live with only two lenses for my G9, the PL 12-60 and the PL 25. I use the PL 12-60 during the day or with a tripod (landscape), and the PL 25 during the evening, or indoors. I am really impressed with the PL 12-60, having just gotten it a couple months ago. The focal range, and quality of images is just lovely.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    Informal infinity-ish comparison.

Notes: I was unable to maintain framing. Somehow, the framing changes significantly when switching between the P12-60 and PL12-60. Switching to my Nikon 24-120 on D750 did not allow for the same framing at all. RAW files converted via DXO Photolab 2. Screen captures taken with Windows Snipping Tool. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Full scene.
    P1000726_DxO.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Center detail at 1:1
    upload_2018-12-8_10-1-17.png

upload_2018-12-8_10-4-18.png

upload_2018-12-8_10-5-42.png

Center detail at 1:2
    upload_2018-12-8_10-8-16.png

upload_2018-12-8_10-9-11.png

upload_2018-12-8_10-9-56.png

Edge/Corner 1:2
    upload_2018-12-8_10-20-26.png

upload_2018-12-8_10-19-30.png

upload_2018-12-8_10-21-12.png

Conclusions
    • D750 clearly has more dynamic range and produces, to my eyes, the most natural and pleasing all around result. The warehouse looks like a photograph, the m43 versions look digital.
    • The m43 photos generally appear over-sharpened and with too much micro-contrast, although no processing was applied other than whatever DXO does on its own. Could this be due to the lack of anti-aliasing filter on the G9?
    • Throughout the middle, the PL12-60 is slightly better than the P12-60, but it's nothing to really get excited about.
    • My copies of the P12-60 and PL12-60 appear to be decentered in opposite directions. In the upper right corner I have shown, the PL12-60 is clearly softer than the P12-60 but the opposite is true in the bottom left corner.
    • I took test images at 12, 25, 40, and 60mm, but I think user error must have reared its ugly head because many of those images were not sharp.
    My overall conclusion is that the much lighter Panasonic version (when in focus :dash2:) is more than adequate for landscapes. But we already knew that, right? PL12-60's main advantage is the added 2/3 to 1 stop of light at most FL. Now what to do? Camera seems fine, but do I keep the slightly decentered PL12-60?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Yup, we did, which is why I have the Panasonic 12-60 rather than the heavier and more expensive Panasonic-Leica. It may be helpful to review zoom copy variability and related discussion in this thread to inform any decision on whether to try another lens. In general, it probably comes down to one's personal level of risk aversion. If you're risk averse keeping with a lens whose limitations you know may be more attractive, if risk loving then rolling the dice to get something maybe better but maybe worse may be more desirable.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're expecting to frequently display prints approaching or over a meter in locations where close and critical inspection will occur.
    Sounds plausible but I'd check the extent of DXO's default manipulations in your configuration as a control. I don't use DXO, so can't share experience there, but personally I suspect you're mainly seeing differences in lens properties. Unless you're interested in specific uses cases, comparing lenses without the full context of evaluation of many points across the frame at different focal lengths and apertures is something to be cautious of. There's enough variation between optical designs and copies which tool with which combination of settings achieves optimum pixel peeping for which purposes gets complex.

With this test image I'd anticipate some comments about atmospheric haze and instability as that's been kind of in vogue in this forum and does contribute image to image variation. This scene shows an inversion band at mid-ridge, which is fairly common, so the amount of stability will depend on where in the frame one's looking. Given the apparently cool temperatures I would guess these factors aren't particularly significant in this case but it's still wise to keep in mind they may need to be controlled for.

16. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Are there any default values for sharpening and noise reduction that you are able to lower? (which means creating lower 'default values')
    Or are all the user-changeable settings/sliders at "zero" and DXO's "under the hood" processing already produces the over-sharpening?

(I'm not using DXO, but both in Capture One and Lightroom I have lowered the default values for sharpening and NR that are automatically applied. I prefer a slightly less harsh look as a starting point.)

17. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    I have found that with my E-M5ii, the DxO default over-sharpens a lot. I have to reduce "lens sharpness" by -1.5 or more for my sharper lenses, and -1.0 for kit lenses.

18. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2018
    Unfortunately, there's no objective way I'm aware of to measure one's risk aversion. I also know nothing about sample variation for this lens, or if this copy (purchased used from ebay) has been mistreated. There's a fair bit of "brassing" on the lens, and it may have taken a tumble or two in its life before coming to me. As Cicala is fond of examining, there is always some degree of copy variation, but I have no idea or way to know if my sample falls within standard deviations. It's going to come down to a gut feeling.

I'm constantly trying to make extra large prints to decorate my place, and they could easily be over 1 meter and close enough for critical inspection. Honestly, I don't think anyone else will really care...but it bothers me, if I know. On the other hand, the real reason why I still have bare walls available is because the wife hasn't yet approved the print and/or the cost of the print. In the meantime, the hunt goes on.

At these distances, haze will admittedly play a role, and as it was also fairly early, the quality of the light source was likely changing faster than the ideal. Definitely on the cool side, however.

I wasn't sure, but I immediately noticed how different my D750 raws looked in Lightroom, so I made sure to run all files through DXO to ensure they received the same "default values." My copy of LR is too old to read files from the G9.

Thanks! I'll try playing with that value.

19. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    DXO will apply different default values to different camera files (so it might apply higher default values to the G9's files than to the D750's).
    Definitely worth playing around with the sharpening values.

And if you found values that you like, you can hopefully set these as new defaults for the G9 raw files. (not sure if that's possible in DXO, but I hope it is. In Capture One I can set different defaults for eg. my EM1 vs the values for my EM5)

20. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Yeah, for what images cost in equipment, effort, and time I try to make sure I'm getting the most out of it too. Nearly always what I find is a lens isn't really the limiting factor, though, at least in the sense there are other things which offer improvement more readily than testing multiple copies of a lens.
    Most methods I'm aware of are similar to Müller 2018. One starting point is the IPIP-NEO, which gives facet scores. ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.