Panasonic G9 £599 at Amazon UK

turtleboy133

Mu-43 Regular
Some people are reporting in the DPReview thread that Amazon has cancelled their order, citing it as an obvious pricing error.

I expect that mine will be cancelled eventually as well. It was pretty obvious that such a deal was too good to be true.

Just received the cancellation email.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I'm sorry you folks didn't get this deal. I have a hard time when someone misprices something and they don't stand up.

On the other hand, I no longer have to feel like I overpaid. :biggrin:

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I'm sorry you folks didn't get this deal. I have a hard time when someone misprices something and they don't stand up.

On the other hand, I no longer have to feel like I overpaid. :biggrin:
Honestly, I don't really have any problem with it at all.

Aside from having unrealistic hopes dashed, the buyer has zero negative consequences associated with a cancelled order.

I am actually quite upset when buyers think that they are entitled to receive an obviously mispriced item. Particularly the story of people buying thousands of dollars of gear and paying under $100 for it. That feels downright predatory. If the online retailer upholds the price, more power to them, but there's nothing wrong with cancelling an order like that.

In the case of these G9s, there at least seemed like there was the possibility that this was a legitimate firesale, however unlikely.

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've had no cancellation email yet,it's also still in my list of orders awaiting delivery.

Some people are reporting in the DPReview thread that Amazon has cancelled their order, citing it as an obvious pricing error.

I expect that mine will be cancelled eventually as well. It was pretty obvious that such a deal was too good to be true.

My order has not yet been cancelled.

In the case of these G9s, there at least seemed like there was the possibility that this was a legitimate firesale, however unlikely.

Exactly. Even pre-Internet, retailers have used "loss leaders", products on which they lose money, to generate traffic. The price was certainly within that realm.

My order got cancelled this morning. Oh well.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I think you're overestimating the size difference.
Thread's moved on but, as a follow up, the difference is about 250 cm³. That's approaching 50% of a G7. There are some adjustment factors to translate to packed volume but as, I'm ultimately zero sum packing on both volume and weight, I've a couple tracking columns in the spreadsheet I use for equipment planning and tracking.

Consider it something of an extreme version of travel photography. It makes the m43 advantage over APS-C substantial and I'm not keen to erode it. However, I use the free angle LCD and centered EVF of the G series heavily, so a GX body wouldn't be a good choice.

turtleboy133

Mu-43 Regular
For what it's worth, this debacle cost me $5. They charged my card $620.59 then refunded only $615.47 due to fluctuations in exchange rate. Probably not worth pursuing, but something to keep in mind when dealing with overseas purchases.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
For what it's worth, this debacle cost me $5. They charged my card $620.59 then refunded only $615.47 due to fluctuations in exchange rate. Probably not worth pursuing, but something to keep in mind when dealing with overseas purchases.

Interesting. I placed my order on August 17th. My card was charged and refunded on Aug 20th in the same amount ($641.47).

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
That's crap. $5 is $5, it was their mistake, not yours. I'd send an email and contact Amazon.

turtleboy133

Mu-43 Regular
That's crap. $5 is $5, it was their mistake, not yours. I'd send an email and contact Amazon.

Agreed. There's only a phone or chat support option. I spoke with them via chat and it's clear they don't have the power to fix it. My guess is that I could ask for a credit towards a future order, but it's unlikely I'd order anything from Amazon UK in the future.

Latest threads

Top Bottom