Panasonic G9 £599 at Amazon UK

Real Name
Richard
When I import, I claim back the VAT so I am unaffected by changes to VAT rates on my goods. If the (UK imposed) import duty increases, then this will affect my customers.

I have an EORI number but currently I send very little outside of the EU. What does go out requires an HS code and a stack of copy invoices, unless it's going to Dubai in which case I pay the customer's duty for them via Fedex and it is billed to the customer. Like anything new, it's daunting, but not once you have settled into the routine.

My EU consumer exports will no longer be subject to the imposition of VAT and in the short term I predict a free for all with companies routinely underdeclaring what's going through the postal system in the same way which everything arriving at my house from Etsy seems to be marked as a gift.

I worked in photographic retail for some considerable time. It costs a small fortune to display at the NEC. Heavy discounting was without exception financed by the equipment suppliers - as was the vast majority of the advertising for the event.

Last edited:

turtleboy133

Mu-43 Regular
I purchased this because I'm looking for an upgrade for my E-M5 (original version). However, the G9 looks pretty big so I may find I don't like it. If I sell, what can I feasibly get for a like new gray market import in the US? Would there be any customs tax when importing from the UK?

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Why would they want to shift something at a stupidly low price in anticipation that everyone else's prices will increase?
I'm not sure what motivates it but Amazon occasionally puts on 25+% discounts for a day, though the price drop here is the largest I'm aware of and the items were in stock in the other cases I'm aware of. Interestingly, when I looked, it was the G9 only that was £599 and the G9 with 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 was £1160.

In general, data from Amazon price trackers suggests to me that demand steering drives Amazon pricing. A hypothesis I have about these one day sales is the steering algorithm probes supply and demand curves across market segments and therefore has latitude to make moves which don't make sense at the level of individual SKUs.

Got into m43 because of the smaller gear...
Yeah, not interested in the G9's size and weight either. I looked at this as a price arbitrage opportunity but my costs in shipping, fees, and price risk are high enough the profit margin on reselling one of these G9s (if delivered) isn't especially attractive.

turtleboy133

Mu-43 Regular
You got the 599 deal?
Potentially. I was able to place the order with a US shipping address. Depends on whether Amazon cancels it or not. I know it's a great price, but size is very important for me (I was planning to wait and see what the E-M5.3 offered before deciding what to get). Size is the key reason I switched to m4/3.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The G9 fits my hand better than the S1. But both are so ergonomic. The G9 is for me, the easiest camera to get good photos. I have to work harder with my other cameras. The EVF of the G9 is excellent.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Folks, it's not all that bad, plus it's about the most ergonomic camera you'll ever hold.
More useful to me to allocate the space and weight, when available, to another 1-2 lenses or other kit for the G7, though. Same goes for the budget. I've usually the body on a focus rail so ergonomics aren't much a selling point.

The main thing I'd use on a G9 is 6k post focus but, since focus stacking is computationally intensive, making multi-hour processing sessions with 4k take 2.3 times as long by increasing their resolution to 6k isn't especially attractive. The other most noticeable G9 features for my use---focus bracketing and dual IS---are also available on the GX80/85, GX9, G80/85, and G90/95 at smaller size, less weight, and (mostly) lower cost. For what I do there is potentially net advantage to the 20MP sensors' greater 4k crop factor but post focus implementation details around Cinelike D and V-Log L may favour the G90 over the G9. Panasonic's documentation is uninformative in this regard and it's still a bit early to try to pull the information from an early adopter of the body. I'd like to see what Bill Claff measures for G90 sensor performance and that data's not available yet either. The G9 also offers 4k HS post focus, which runs at 60 rather than 30 fps but with a data rate increase to only 150 Mbps rather 200 Mbps, implying a focus bracket speed to quality tradeoff I've not yet seen evaluated.

This is all fine. Both the G9 and G90 are early enough in the price-time curve depreciation is costly and it's G80 that's currently in the range where I tend to buy. I'm also somewhat curious whether Panasonic will make a G7 update or if they'll just reduce G80 pricing a bit further. Where I am the difference in G7 and G80 street prices appears entirely attributable to the 14-42 bundled with the G7 versus the 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 accompanying the G80.

You should at least be able to recoup your original cost if you change your mind and resell.
As indicated up thread, my interest in price arbitrage is making a profit rather than subsidizing ownership. While defining success as break even often works well for a hobby it is, by definition, unsuccessful for a profit-seeking enterprise.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
The other most noticeable G9 features for my use---focus bracketing and dual IS---are also available on the GX80/85, GX9, G80/85, and G90/95
Except the G9 is the only one that you can use flash with (via the sync port). Panasonic disables bracketing when flash is active/mounted... which I have never understood.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I'm unsure there's value going over your interest in focus bracketing with flash again in this thread given, for example, prior discussion of it in regards to the G9, S1, and E-M5 II. As noted last month in another of your threads on the topic, continuous lighting seems sufficient for my needs. As such, I've no basis for anticipating to make use of the G9's sync port.

I'm well aware of your hope if you make enough complaints Panasonic will respond by providing some of the many things you'd like. As such, there's no particular need for reminders. I anticipate there'll be another thread about something which will serve as another reminder in not too long anyways.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
More useful to me to allocate the space and weight, when available, to another 1-2 lenses or other kit for the G7, though. Same goes for the budget.
I think you're overestimating the size difference. Still, I get the weight thing. I don't typically find myself in a situation where weight is an issue. I could probably use a full frame camel 🐫 and not be bothered. :biggrin:

And, I really get the cost thing.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Some people are reporting in the DPReview thread that Amazon has cancelled their order, citing it as an obvious pricing error.

I expect that mine will be cancelled eventually as well. It was pretty obvious that such a deal was too good to be true.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom