Panasonic G9 £599 at Amazon UK

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well it almost has me excited. There is a Panasonic announcement due this month. Maybe a new G9plus.

Phil.H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Well, it's worth a try. Placed an order for delivery to the US.
Grand Total: GBP 508.52
Payment Grand Total: USD 641.57
Fully expect a cancellation. Will post back when I know.

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ Rybicki
Well, thanks for the tip, I am in as well.
The price dropped from 599 to 499 GBP when I added it to my cart. So 641.57 USD, shipped for me as well.
Could not resist for that price.
Russ

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
The reason the price is lower when bought outside Europe is that VAT (20% tax here) is removed. Whether local taxes will be added on import to your territory is not my area of expertise. Probably a great deal regardless.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I also expect that my order will be cancelled, as it seems too good to be true, but at that price I simply couldn't resist.

I have waited for more than 5 years with my GX7, so another 1-2 months is nothing to me to find out if I get an upgrade.

I had been hoping to get a G95 after a price drop, since I think I prefer the smaller size. But this a bargain that cannot be ignored.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's to do with a no deal Brexit. Amazon will be stuck with a warehouse full of UK specced G9 if it cannot offload them before October 31st. After the 31st they would suffer from WTO tariffs plus the UK import VAT.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
It's to do with a no deal Brexit. Amazon will be stuck with a warehouse full of UK specced G9 if it cannot offload them before October 31st. After the 31st they would suffer from WTO tariffs plus the UK import VAT.
This theory doesn’t quite align with the long lead times on the listing though, does it?

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Logistics. Amazon can't flood the market overnight with cheap G9 cameras. It has to be done at a pace to avoid other sellers being left with more expensive dead stock. That's how Richer Sounds started its business.

Real Name
Richard
Amazon's growth is down to 'just in time' stock management. they will not be sitting on a warehouse full of anything which they need to dump at a loss.

Why would they want to shift something at a stupidly low price in anticipation that everyone else's prices will increase?

VAT registered businesses will be unaffected by any alterations to VAT. The only people affected by changes in VAT are non-registered consumers.

Margins on photographic equipment are small. Panasonic are the only organization who can facilitate a deal like this by dumping them in to Amazon at a low price.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Big companies like Amazon don't buy and pile the all the purchased goods up in their warehouses. The goods are sent to the warehouse from the supplier in batches over a period of time. That's one reason you see supermarket lower prices on the Sunday evening. Because new deliveries will arrive the next morning, stacked shelves or not.

VAT registered businesses will be affected. I know that, because I own a VAT registered business that trades globally. Look up EORI for reference. It's a lot of red tape, the likes of which I have never seen before.

Whatever the margins on cameras are, at the last photographic show at the NEC in Birmingham it was possible to pick up a G9 with the battery grip and the PL12-60mm for less than £900.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom