1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G7 - Touch Focus - Not Functioning Even When Enabled

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Pentaxis, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Anyone ever seen this? Could it be a specific mode issue? Tried resetting to factory settings. New cam. Touch screen works fine, moves the focus points around, but just doesn't perform a focus adjustment when doing a quick tap.

Thanks!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hmm... Maybe you should contact Pana support.

3. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Found out what it was. It doesn't function unless recording when in video modes. Definitely different than the GH series. heh.

4. You are right - it is different than the GH2. I looked at the manual and on page 161 it tries to explain this feature. From what I can tell, if you set the focus mode to "1-Area" (the square in a rectangle symbol), the touch focus does work. But, it does not do so with a reassuring wink of the screen the way it used to. Now it just kind of slowly finds focus in the area you selected. When you touch the shutter, it refocuses in the selected area with a beep. But as far as I can tell, all the focus modes work about the same way. I don't understand why the manual singles out the "1-Area" mode to do this.

Another feature that I find confusing (useless?) is the direct focus feature. As far as I can tell, all this does is allow the cursor buttons to override their normal functions and only move the focus point. Note that you can still move the focus point by touching the screen, but you can't select ISO, WB, Focus Mode or Fn3. I suppose this might have some use, but I have not figured out what it is yet.