1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G7/G70 new firmware & issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by loskexos, Nov 25, 2015.

1. loskexos

loskexos Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Stuttgart
    Since today the new firmware version 2.0 for G7/G70 is available.

Changes include an exciting new feature:
    1.[Post Focus] is now available.
    New function which enables the user to select in-focus area and pull out favorite shots, after shooting.
    2.Improved performance when connecting HDMI.
    3.Improved performance at burst shooting.

Firmware available via panasonic website:
    Joint update service for Four Thirds body and lenses | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Since I am from Germany I own the G70 version of the camera.
    The downloadable Firmware file from Panasonic website are not recognized as valid update for G70. Its name is "G7___V20.bin". Renaming it to "G70__V20.bin" makes the G70 accept it and offer to start firmware update.

Seems Panasonic needs to rethink and adjust that firmware update process a bit.

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

The file name has nothing to do with not being recognized, nor should you rename it. The association of model to firmware version is embedded within the actual file.
    1. Charge your battery fully
    2. Format an SD card and take at least 1 photo on it.
    3. Download the file and extract the file to a folder on your PC. COPY AND PASTE (do not Drag and Drop) the .bin file to the root of the SD card.
    4. Insert the card, turn the camera on, and press the "play" button.
    5. The firmware will auto load.

Trust me, it will work! If it's not working, try downloading it again. Perhaps the file got somehow corrupted

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    First thing I am doing when I get home from work!!!!

4. loskexos

loskexos Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Stuttgart
    Thanks Bob, for the summary of things that can be checked.

1. Charge your battery fully
    -> yes, done that. Even tried another battery, also charged full (full = charger charging light turns off, G70 displays all bars in the battery level indicator)

2. Format an SD card and take at least 1 photo on it.
    -> Formatted in the Camera. Tried with at least 1 photo and without any photo. Tried 2 sd cards.

3. Download the file and extract the file to a folder on your PC. COPY AND PASTE (do not Drag and Drop) the .bin file to the root of the SD card.
    -> Tried the .exe and the .zip file. Downloaded from two different network connections.
    -> Extract does not complain about any CRC issues for both. Ejected the SDcard in Windows before removing it from SDcard slot.
    -> I admit I did not copy and paste but drag and drop. But as long as the SDcard is properly ejected (all writes closed) there should be no difference between these methods since about Windows ME or so.

4. Insert the card, turn the camera on, and press the "play" button.
    -> does not work. repeatably in all the attempts listed above.

5. The firmware will auto load.
    -> when I remove the SD card from the G70, put it in my PC, rename the file, eject and put it again in the G70 I to get the firmware update prompt to 20 after turning on and pressing play.
    I did not follow through though, waiting for Panasonic to clarify (don't want to brick the G70 or rename it to G7 or so ;)).

PS: I know the procedure, been doing quite a few of updates since the days of GH1.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Now, without searching, tell me what is a G70?

6. loskexos

loskexos Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Stuttgart
    Panasonic Lumix G7 is (for whatever reason) marketed and sold as G70 in Austria, Switzerland and Germany.

Edit: now the last step page also shows a download specifically for G70.
    That download works as expected. Yay!
    (not sure if it now popped up or if I was too stupid to see the content before?)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Camera and 14-42² FWs both updated. Curious that each press of the 'play' button activated just one update, but better than nothing updating like others report.

I had expected a firmware-update sticky for this - what say you Amin?

Ulfric - apparently the G70 is the PAL not NTSC version, so it's more than just numbers that are different. I see someone here bought a grey-mkt G70 in the States now and is having issues!