1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G7 $400 at Roberts Camera Indianapolis (in-store only?)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Vnnie, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Vnnie

Vnnie Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie
    For anyone near central Indiana, Roberts Camera (2 locations in Indianapolis) is selling Panasonic G7's with the 14-42mm kit lens for $399.99! I can't find that price online so I think it's in-store only. I saw the price in their newspaper ad printed on 12/27/15. I don't know how long the deal lasts but I picked one up today (12/29/15) and they threw in a free 32GB card. It's an insane deal!
    roberts-g7.

• Like Like x 4
  2. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    That is better than the previous deals on the G7. Funny that they advertise "black only" using a picture of the silver/gunmetal model.

3. Vnnie

Vnnie Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie
    Yeah, I noticed the color thing too. I was hoping the silver/gunmetal was on sale too but it didn't look like they even had any in the store.

4. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Indeed a crazy deal, be silly to pass up if you lived in or around IN

5. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hello,
    I wrote Roberts, since I had ordered from them previously, and heard back from Christy who informed me that the sale
    was not listed on line but could be completed through a store purchase, as we knew, or by calling in and buying by credit
    card, which would result in the same price with free shipping, which would happen today. She mentioned that sales were going well and also that she might have one of the silver models left, but otherwise black was currently available while supplies hold out, suggesting that these were moving quickly and that, at the moment we were talking, another rep was speaking with a customer who
    saw the deal announced on "a website." I told her I would mention it here, so potential buyers might be encouraged to
    call Roberts at 800-726-5544. I'd ask for Christy since she seemed personable and helpful, got my order set up, resulting
    in two email notices, a greeting at the site and the second an order confirmation.

I hope this info will be helpful to you. What a great price!

Robert

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. blumoon722

blumoon722 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    John
    I did a live chat with Ed who was very helpful, and got the deal for $397.99 (I used 200= $2.00 points that I got for opening an account).
    I'm getting a black model with the 14-42mm lens.
    I already have the 14-45mm lens.
    Any opinions on which lens is better?
    Thanks to Vnnie for the heads up.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Those lenses perform very similarly, but the new 14-42 II is much smaller and lighter and doesn't extend when zooming. I tend to favor the 14-42 II for that reason.

8. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hi again,

Roberts, as usual, is pretty quick, already shipping the G7 ordered less than two hours ago. I realize this is probably info sent to the Post Office, but it suggests it's got a good chance to ship today and perhaps get here by Saturday delivery.

I'm impressed. Best to those who have been able to take advantage of the pricing and thanks to Vnnie for listing it.

Robert

9. Vnnie

Vnnie Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie
    That's awesome that Roberts will ship. It's such an amazing deal. My other experiences with Roberts Camera have been great so it doesn't surprise me they've been so helpful.

10. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    They are sold out.

11. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Thanks again, Vnnie.

The camera purchased Wednesday is listed this morning as being at my local post office, so I'm hoping for delivery today.
    That's pretty close to instant shipping, which, along with the friendly customer service people, makes Roberts a great
    source for micro four-thirds equipment and other gear as well.

Best,

Robert

12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Although not purchased through Roberts, over the holiday I did help my uncle decide on purchasing a G7 through Dodd camera, a chain of a couple stores in Ohio.

My uncle owned a Canon T1i, the 18-55 kit zoom, and the 55-250 telephoto kit zoom. A couple months ago he said that he wanted me to sell the camera for him, and help him decide on a new camera. He wanted something that was going to be easier to use. I spent a few days out at his house between Christmas and New Years, and did some research showing that we could get about $300 for his camera and lenses on eBay, which after factoring in the 3% PayPal fees, the 10% eBay fees, and the shipping costs, he would be left with about $240. We took a drive down to the Dodd camera that was near where he lives, and had him handle the G7 with the 14-42 kit lens. He was surprised at how small it was, and I was surprised at how good the ergonomics were (I currently use two GH4's, and previously owned two G6's. The ergo's are definitely better on the G7 than on the G6, and surprisingly close to the GH4 IMO).

We asked it they accepted trade-ins, which they did, so we went and got the gear from the car. After a bit of haggling, we managed to get $180 for the camera (saving us $191 once factoring in the tax money saved). The extra $50 that would have been earned from selling through eBay definitely wasn't worth the time or effort. He ended up getting the camera and lens for $411. I went through and set it up for him that evening, and then the next morning we got up early and went down to the city to take some photos of a cool bridge (see image below).

After getting home and taking a look at the pictures on the computer, my uncle was very happy with his camera. He said the images he was able to get with the G7 were way better than what he was able to get with his T1i. At his request, I'm now looking at buying a used 45-175 telephoto lens and used FL360L/FL600R flash to complete his kit. He's very happy with the size and handling of the camera, and was glad to finally get rid of the DSLR.

TL;DR - The G7 is an excellent camera, featuring excellent ergonomics, image quality, and customizability, all at an insanely low cost. To anyone who ordered a G7, I do not believe you'll be disappointed.

23444716453_96acf49ee2_b. Roebling Bridge by Ian Menego, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2