1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G6 has arrived with wi fi and NFC :)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ...:smile:
    We have some new toys to join MFT offering.Panasonic announced G6 and some other cameras with wi fi and NFC. Its interesting how fastly technology is changing in photography world.It offers sweet panaroma , timelapse and some other nice but not absolute features . I am wondering how much is enough ?
    Here is a brief preview of G6 at DPR.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    Panasonic unveils Lumix DMC-G6 16MP mid-level mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review

2. plutoniumhunter

plutoniumhunter Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Was just about to start a thread when I saw yours!

3. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    And it sure is one ugly camera!

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Not a radical departure from the G5 like I was hoping, but I still like it. Looks like that Leica DSLR (don't know name).

5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    If it comes in @ 1/2 the price of GH3, I know a couple of videographers that might be interested. I've heard they like the GH2 except for what it lacks, that the G6 adds.

6. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    OMG it has focus peaking! :eek:

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Only real attraction for me is the external mic jack -- but I don't do enough video to worry. In the past, I've used my Tascam DR-1 on a boom and did manual synch of the audio in post though that is a pain. Probably part of the reason I DON'T do much video, lol.

8. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Didn't notice that. Would be a real help in manual focus video mode. I'm over my legacy lens phase, lol. It didn't last.

9. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Wow, this exciting. I'm leaning towards picking up an omd but I may just wait and see what else panasonic has in store for us.

10. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Doesn't seem like that much of an update for a stills photographer. Though the focus peaking might be very desirable to some. I'm not a fan of the high shoulders - what purpose do they serve?

Extra programmable buttons is certainly nice.

Perhaps the biggest story is that we may have more great G5 deals and people won't be missing much by picking those up at a discount? Perhaps the unusually high GH2 used sales prices will go down as well?

11. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
  12. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I find it a bit odd that they are using the same sensor as the GH2 (according to DPReview's preview). I'm normally not one to quote DXOMark, but it seems that the E-M5/GH3 sensor would have been a much better choice. Overall though, I guess it looks alright.

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think Sony charges a pretty penny for that sensor and Panasonic's in house one is more profitable at this price point. I have to say though, I really LIKE the G5 sensor that the G6 will share. It may have a stop less dynamic range at base ISO but it has a very nice look and NO PURPLE BLOBS, lol.

14. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I guess I shouldn't judge yet, as I haven't shot a Panasonic since the G3. I do like that Panasonic is incorporating Focus Peaking for MF and Focus Tracking for up to 5fps. I'll be curious to see how the continuous AF and focus tracking fair.

I do still wish for a Fuji X-E1 body in a m4/3 mount though...

15. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Panasonic better not charge too much for this. It's essentially a G5.5 or since we're talking about Fuji, a "G5s". heheh

16. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    It has focus peaking? does it mean firmware will bring focus peakin on GH3 and G5 maybe?

17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
  18. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Just waiting on the price! It's high on the list... I'm hoping they announce a GX2 with viewfinder this year but I'm not hopeful.

19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    :eek: :eek:

Wow, I was thinking "oh, a G5 with wi-fi and another GH2 sensor rehash" but focus peaking in a Panasonic camera is quite the surprise. I'm sure the odds of them incorporating this into a firmware update for the GH3 or other cameras is basically zero, but a man can dream :biggrin:

20. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    It looks like a solid camera to me, especially if you do video. The viewfinder looks really nice and the sensor is more than good enough....still it doesn't give ne GAS to replace my G5.