Panasonic G6 "Focus Peaking" Is it implemented Well.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cherrywood, Nov 22, 2013.

1. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Those of you who have the Panasonic G6, how does the G6 "Focus Peaking" work for you. Is it easy to see for manual lenses, ? Implemented well, accurate? Give your thoughts on this please.
    I am interested in getting this camera.
    Thanks Dennis.

2. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I am interested in this too. Also how is the video on this camera? I really want it only for these two reasons.

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Useless. It is the one new feature that really disappoints. It is too subtle to be helpful for me. OTOH, I don't miss it. With the quick focus when you bring the camera to your eye, the ability to manually tune after autofocus, and the multiple zoom levels on the focus assist (zoom into focus point 4x, 5x and 10 times) I have no problems with manual focus. Throw in an articulated screen and I'm very happy.

_1050085-M.

4. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Thomd, So you like the faster focus. Is it marginally faster than the G5, or much faster than the G5, I read that the G6 processor was about 2 x faster than the G5, is this your experience with the G6?

5. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    By "quick focus" I was referring to the function where the camera focuses when you look through the view finder. I find the focus speed to be fast. Never had a G5, but the G6 is significantly faster than the G2. I could not have taken this shot with my G2.

P1060379-L.

You think birds in flight are hard? Try shooting something that can do a 4G turn.

6. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    G6 focus and focus peaking

Thanks for the reply.
    Dennis.

7. jacaldwell

jacaldwell Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2013
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Jeff Caldwell
    All I have to compare with is my own expectations and some previous experience with a Fuji X100S, but I have been impressed with the Panasonic implementation of the focus peaking feature. I've only had the camera about a week so I haven't found an option in the menu yet to change intensity or color, but that might make it more useful in some different situations. My testing was done indoors with low lighting on stationary objects with medium contrast.

8. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    For me, the peaking on the G6 works a little better than the peaking on my E-M1...or at least I can see it better on the G6. But I assume you are needing to use it for video, and I have not done that with either camera.

9. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    On the G6 there is no option to adjust color or intensity of peaking. Edsiajb, can you elaborate on G6 vs EM1 peaking? I find that very often G6 peaking simply doesn't highlight anything.

FWIW, I don't do video.

10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I don't have the G6, but I find the focus peaking on the GX7 works very well. I rarely use the AF function with any more. I am sure that the G6 focus peaking is the same as that in the GX7.

11. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Focus peaking on the G6 is substantially different from the GX7. The GX7 offers 2 detection levels and 3 color options each. The G6 does not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I've no issues with focus peaking on G6 and from my point of view there is no need for changing color or sensitivity.

13. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I don't have the GX7. But found the peaking feature quite useless on the G6. It doesn't show the area in focus well at all. At least that's my experience.

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    My experience with the GX7 is that it varies with the situation and amount of available light. Aside from the the effect brightness has (the brighter the scene, the more I see cyan highlights), I haven't figured out what effects how many highlights I'll see.

15. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I might also add that focus peaking is MUCH better on the Sony NEX5N.

16. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hi,

I recently picked up the G6 but haven't had time to work with the focus peaking. Kirk Tuck discusses it on the Visual Science Lab site. You'll need to scroll through several entries to get to the G6 review, but he's clearly enthused about its capabilities. I hope this is useful to you. Here's the link:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

Robert

17. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I think it works fairly well, but not excellent. It seems to have trouble with certain surfaces in low light. Most noticeable trouble is objects with curved surfaces similiar to a vase that dont have much contrast. Even in good light there is a slight chance the FP wont show up in the entire scene. I only have my x100 to compare it to which doesnt suffer from the same ailments. Still works well and I enjoy using ut very much.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Since so many people said that they loved it, I went back and played with FP some more (because I sure wasn't loving it). FP looks pretty good if you do not use Focus Assist. With FA at 4x it shows up, but it is more subtle. At 5x and 10x FA it rarely appears in my quick testing. Since I use FA at 5x most of the time, that explains some of the discrepancy in opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Yes I forgot to mention that as well. Works much better without FA.

20. johnnyt8

johnnyt8 New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2013
    U.S.
    tends to be difficult to see IMO, but the g6 is an awesome camera and the video is great.