1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G6 body $288 at ebay

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Halaking, Mar 12, 2015.

1. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    wow... great deal

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That is really good. Trying to think of a present I need for someone.

3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Already got the GX7 and EM5, no need the 3rd MFT camera, but this is a good deal.

4. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    I have a G5, as I understand it G6 is basically the same except it has focus peaking, wifi, slightly better evf, and an extra fn button? The focus peaking is *very* appealing, but everything else seems either gimmicky, not that important, or even possibly counterproductive (I'd read that the extra FN button is in a ad place & people keep pressing it accidentally).

I guess I would jump at it if I could sell the G5 to make up half the difference, but a quick peak at ebay shows not possible, used G5s are selling from $110-$140 :(

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've had both the G5 and the G6. The other differences you failed to mention are that the G6 offers a mic jack, more options for video, full manual control of exposure parameters in video, and a capacitive touchscreen LCD that's more responsive and higher resolution.

6. ronk

ronk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ron
    Just a warning about 6th Ave Express from a comment one year ago:"6ave is a seller on Ebay that is NOT and authorized retailer of any products. They buy grey market overseas, and import and sell them here. You will have NO FACTORY WARRANTY when you buy from them, only their "90 day labor and 1 year parts STORE warranty" as stated in their listings."
    If warranty is important to you, it may not be such a bargain.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    So many of us buy used, I don't think grey market is too terrifying...

Where was this deal about a year ago???

8. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't own the G6 (obviously), and was going from memory on the differences, I guess those were just the ones that stuck in my head ... as a still photographer really the only one in your list that was relevant to me is the touchscreen improvement, so that's probably why the other ones didn't "stick" in my memory. I wasn't trying to "fail to mention" anything ;)

9. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    I wonder if the seller "Electronics basket" on amazon for this is authorized? I'm guessing not, but might be at least worth looking into, as it is is only $3.59 higher cost than this deal

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I tend to compare grey market goods to used items. I don't get a warranty with a used item, but it's also not new. So if I can get a new grey market item for used prices, then it's a great buy. If I can buy it from a retailer that will accept returns if it fails in 3 weeks, even better. Good luck finding Craiglist Joe to get your money back on a used item. Generally a defective unit will fail in the first few weeks or not at all, which is why the 30 day return policy is pretty standard.

11. ronk

ronk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ron
    It wasn't from any deal. It was from a complaint blog discussing the poor warranty service that 6th Ave Express was providing on an array of products. Their brick and mortar was closed for a while as well and that generated a lot of dead 'store' warranties.

I agree, grey market isn't of itself bad, just good for the buyer to know it likely is grey, and know the warranty ramifications. It is why the seller can offer a very attractive price.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Apologies if that came off as accusatory, as it certainly wasn't intentional. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the other improvements in case they mattered to you. I will say that while WiFi wasn't something I thought I'd care about, I really like it. Also, while the rear LCD is nicer to look at and use than the G5, it doesn't work with gloves on, whereas the G5 does. Another thing is that to me the G6 felt more cheaply made than the G5. The plastic used has a rougher texture and the camera felt lighter.

13. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    No worries! I should have also been clearer -- I appreciate your feedback and providing further info!

Maybe I'd like the wifi thing too, but I assume it's primarily used for sharing or uploading to FB or whatever, and frankly I don't do that much. I've thought it over and think I'm going to stick with the G5 for now. If this price gets lower (or maybe the package with the lens has a deal, making my G5 easier to sell), I'll reconsider. Otherwise I'll "save my powder" for a too-hard-to-resist GX7 deal :D

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    A too-hard-to-resist GX7 deal is exactly why I no longer have a G6. [emoji6]

15. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
  16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sweet, I'll buy a G6 when they really go on fire sale. ;)

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I had the G5 for a while. I picked up a body-only on closeout on Amazon.com with full warranty for $299. I'd be surprised if the G6 didn't eventually drop that low.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Amazon was selling open box G5s for about $165 with kit lens a couple months back, I'm sure these will drop even more once they start trying to clear out inventory.

19. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013