Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bigbob, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    Robert Morin
    When I shoot in low light and high ISO. The G5 gets very warm. One time stopped working. Any one having this problem? Any Thoughts. Big bob
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Haven't got the G5 but I've got a G3 & a few Oly bodies. They do get warm at high-ISO but I've never had one stop due to temperature.

I've put it down to increased battery drain as the sensor & CPU work harder to wring a decent image out of the camera. Depending on the lens (or body), Image Stabilisation will also be doing its thing & you may be making use of burst capability to try and get a usable shot in bad light (ditto flash).

Out of interest is it a third-party battery ? How many shots did you take and how quickly did it heat up ?

If you can reproduce the condition you could always give Panasonic a call and see what they say.
  3. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I used the G5 a lot, it never got warm. It would make sense for the high ISO noise reduction algorithm to generate some heat but not enough to make the camera quit working.
  4. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    Robert Morin
    Thanks for the replays. This only happens at high ISO. I am using a panasonic battery. Shooting at night with 20mm f 1.7 lens. Party lots of pix. Camera maxed out . Bob
  5. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Robert Lietz

A few years ago, I had a G3 or G5, I can't remember which at this point, but I do remember that it was asleep when I put it in the camera bag. Later in the day, I reached for the camera and it was noticeably hot, meaning I didn't even want to hold it long. I turned the camera off and it never happened again, but I was a little shaken, needless to say, wondering if this could have resulted in a fire which would have destroyed not only it but the other gear in the bag and who knows what else.

I guessed at the time, but now am not so sure, that the camera was asleep, woke up as it was put in the bag, but instead of returning to sleep in the specified time it continued on full power. I had a G6 after that and a GH3, both of which performed perfectly in every regard, but I've wondered about the earlier camera ever since.

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I thought you might like to know about the experience.

6. Oruf

Oruf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2015
    My g5 get pretty warm when using it extensively. But never to the point of shutting down.