1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G5 with adapted Oly OM 200mm f4 lens.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by donuts, Feb 19, 2016.

1. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    Is the Oly. OM lens ( 515g ) too heavy to use on a tripod instead of an adapter with a
    tripod base on the Panasonic G5. Will the camera lens flange be strong enough to support
    that lens and adapter?
    Thanks,
    Jerry.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, there are native lenses much heavier than that, and people like me leave them unsupported with the camera hanging on a sling.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Just do not stress the mount for no reason, like swinging around the camera too much. It mostly depends on the lens length too and the OM is quite compact.
    You'll end up supporting the camera with one hand under the lens anyway, also for focusing, so the stress is quite limited.

4. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks guys,
    I should have stated that I would be mounting the camera directly on a tripod. My main concern is if having it mounted on a tripod for long periods with the lens unsupported, would that put too much stress on the lens
    flange?
    Jerry.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The Oly 12-40 is close to 400 grams, the 75/1.8 is 300, Oly 40-150: 900 grams, Pana 100-400 about 1kg and the Oly 300 is 1,5kg. And some of these lenses are much longer so the torque on the mount is even more strong. The OM adapter is quite thick, but nothing extreme.
    My guess is that the m43 mount standard was designed to support all these lenses with a significant margin. I've also heard more often of ripped lens mounts rather then on the camera side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

500g is not heavy! :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better, no more worries.
    Jerry.