1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G5 or G6

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ketan, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Ketan

Ketan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    Interested in getting a Panasonic G5 or G6 due to SLR body type in a small package.

I think the image quality is pretty much the same.

Used G5s are going for $250 or less. Used G6 are hard to find but normally go for double the price of G5.

So the question is, does the G6 offer enough upgrades over G5 to cover the price?

I need:

EX Image quality
    Fast AF specially indoors and low light
    Good Screen resolution
    Good EVF
    Easy to use dials / Menu system.

Please let me know what your experience is, if you upgraded to G6 from G5.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the main selling point for the G6 is the external audio port for video. For stills I'd save some cash get the G5 and invest the remaining amount into glass.

3. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I haven't had much luck with my G5, so I won't recommend it.

4. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    The G6 has awesome EVF, not a field sequential tearing one, that reason alone is enough for me to make the choice. Better than the E-M5 in my opinion. Very capable camera as well, the display is also better than the G5 - in terms of quality and the capacitive touch screen.

5. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    I completely agree about the quality of the EVF on the G6. I returned a GX-7 because I was unhappy with its EVF. The EVF on the G6 is large, bright and the information on the display is easy to read.....even with glasses.

Focus peaking is another feature you might find useful.

6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    My take - with the disclaimer that I bought a G5, and am happy with it, because I thought the G6 upgrades were not worth it - for my personal needs:

For stills, the upgrades basically center around having better displays and focus peaking, and WiFi. For me, they were not justified - but I don't shoot video at all, and I have no problem focusing manually without peaking, and I don't care to transfer images to my smart phone. The other main upgrades are more video related.

8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    For the price of the G6, get a G5 and invest the rest of the money on a lens.

9. d0rifto

d0rifto New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2013
    i agree with jrsilva, g5s are so cheap used. i still have my g5 and love it.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    They are cheap even brand new. The G5 is a very capable camera. If you don't need Focus Peaking or WIFI, go for the G5 and save some money to invest on lens.
    I know a fellow who had a G5 and then sold it and bought the G6. He is very regretful now. He put the G6 on sale a few weeks after buying it. Looks like the G6 was producing photos with more noise than the G5.

11. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I purchshed a G5 after the G6 came out and the price dropped on the G5. I owned it for about six weeks when I purchased a second G5 body. I LOVE this camera. I do shoot RAW and will say that the SOOCJPG are not the greatest. However RAW is fantastic. I'm sure that I will own a G6 at some point but I'm also sure that it will cost me less than $300:smile:

12. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I have this month upgraded from the G5 to the G6, now normally I would say invest in glass before body,

But since using the G6 for the last couple of weeks and with some of my old Pentax glass, I just can't recommend the G5 anymore, and I loved that camera.

The focus peaking combined with one of the best VF I have ever used, for a glasses wearer like me I just don't think there is a better camera out there for the money.

I am even leaving my Pentax K5 at home, and just using the lenses on the G6.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I'm glad I've never used the G6 because I love my G5, even the SOOC JPEGs, and I wouldn't want to start wanting a new camera. I'd rather have the G5 and the PL25 than the G6 with a kit lens for sure.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Agree with these gentlemen.