panasonic g5 more true and vibrant color than my em 5---

A

aruba3h

Shooting with my g5 I get fabulous jpegs. Comparing them to my oly em5 the contrast and colors look much better than my oly. I am using the same lens, Aperature and shutter speed.When I shoot the oly on program it comes pretty close to the pany. I basically shoot on in aperture mode. Changed my adobe rgb to srgb on oly ---no help. I always thought I would get better pix with oly and am a bit disappointed. Any camera tips for improvement on my em 5.

Thx Ken

A

aruba3h

pany oly jpgs

pany /oly jpgs

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 256
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 236
J

Jfrader

Try changing "Picture Mode" to "Vivid." That solved the same problem for me.

A

aruba3h

both pix shot on vivid----oly just seems washed out---pix house and tree. both cameras set to same aperture, shutter iso---identiical setting --yet pany looks much much better

ken

shutterduster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave T
I don't think it is possible to compare two cameras shooting in two different environments.
Take two controlled shots of the same subject in the same setting within a few seconds of each other.
Do this a number of times. Make sure focus and exposure are on the same object.

Just a suggestion.
Thanks, Dave

A

aruba3h

have shots mutiple sets----same setting on both oly and pany-------- shot with pany 25 1.4 . Pany sets are clearly 20 % brighter and much better contrast. Olys look washed out. More pix coming

ken

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Shooting with my g5 I get fabulous jpegs. Comparing them to my oly em5 the contrast and colors look much better than my oly. I am using the same lens, Aperature and shutter speed.When I shoot the oly on program it comes pretty close to the pany. I basically shoot on in aperture mode. Changed my adobe rgb to srgb on oly ---no help. I always thought I would get better pix with oly and am a bit disappointed. Any camera tips for improvement on my em 5.

Thx Ken

Settings, settings, settings. If you are going to shoot jpgs, you have to master your cameras' settings.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
have shots mutiple sets----same setting on both oly and pany-------- shot with pany 25 1.4 . Pany sets are clearly 20 % brighter and much better contrast. Olys look washed out. More pix coming

ken

The same settings on two different cameras is nearly guaranteed to be the wrong choice.

A

aruba3h

washed out olys

Attachments

• pany 33 .jpg
    pany 33 .jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 226
  • oly356.jpg
    oly356.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 219
A

aruba3h

just seems to me after changing setting in oly---pany still better pix

thx ken

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It would be really nice to see just one example where the exact same image is shown, shot from the same spot, same time of day, same angle etc, using both cameras.

A

aruba3h

thanks for imput-----will take pix of same scenes and will post tomorrow.

thx ken

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
It's not just the color output settings. The old 12mp sensor always yields high color saturation and contrast, in RAW as well as JPEG.

To me, it results in quite pleasant pictures with some lenses (20mm pancake and 45mm zuiko give magnificent results in my experience). But it also leads to easily overblown colors, hard to correct color casts, and loss of gradation details and subtleties.

If you like the output better, all the best! I still appreciate my GF3 for the different rendering it possesses.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
It's not just the color output settings. The old 12mp sensor always yields high color saturation and contrast, in RAW as well as JPEG.

To me, it results in quite pleasant pictures with some lenses (20mm pancake and 45mm zuiko give magnificent results in my experience). But it also leads to easily overblown colors, hard to correct color casts, and loss of gradation details and subtleties.

If you like the output better, all the best! I still appreciate my GF3 for the different rendering it possesses.

The G2 was the last G-series camera to use the 1st generation 12 mp sensor. The G5, like it's predecessor the G3, has a 16 mp sensor.

Fred

shutterduster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave T
Could it be the metering mode???

I was shooting with two cameras and one of them just didn't seem to produce pleasing images.
I tried changing lenses around and still had the same poor images.
I thought I had them set up the same but discovered I had two different metering modes.
One was spot metering and the other center average.
Once the modes were the same all was well again :smile:

Dave

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Have dynamic range adjustments been turned off, and is the warm color setting been turned off? Camera bodies ship with many features either on or off that, IMHO, should be off and on.

--Ken

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
I have a Panasonic G5 and I always find it's JPEG's very eye catching with warm pleasant saturated colors.
Although I think the quality of the JPEG is a bit inferior than the Olympus ones. This is even more evident using Olympus lens mounted on the G5.
I also have a Panasonix GX1 but even with the same settings I'm not able to match the colors and light of the JPEG's with the ones from the G5. So, the G5 rendering it's different also from other Pany cameras.

Latest threads

Top Bottom